MOOREA


Advertisement
French Polynesia's flag
Oceania » French Polynesia » Moorea
November 27th 2008
Published: November 27th 2008
Edit Blog Post

MOOREA

We enter Opuhon Bay and anchor. To port, the Sheraton is in view. The towers of white smoke give us pause, but it seems that locals rake their leaves and burn them. Given the dry conditions, I’m surprised they still do it but they do. Hope the hotel is here tomorrow when we arrive for two nights. Our tour today is the shark sighting, ray feeding, and snorkeling adventure. We arrive to the site and a group of black tips swim by. The stingrays gather for a snack. The water is about three feet deep and we stand there petting the rays as they gather for food. They feel like plush velvet and seem to enjoy our caresses. They also like the food. Small reef fish gather for the crumbs and the sharks keep their distance and circle the boat. Occasionally a black tipped fin will break the surface. Joe spots some flounders. Their camouflage is remarkable and it’s a wonder they are not trampled but they are quick to swim away from flippers or feet.
We leave after an hour and motor to a motu for a snorkel over coral. It is one of my most uncomfortable snorkels in a long, long time. My mask kept fogging and leaking. My eyes were burning with salt water. The current was quite strong and the coral showed lots of abuse. The fish were few and we returned to the boat early. The neatest thing was watching a stingray bury itself in the sand. There she was with a bit of sand over her fins and before we knew it she had disappeared. Really remarkable.
This was our last night on board. Our TA had arranged for a canape tray and we brought it to the lounge to share with the friends we have made on board.
We all agree that a small ship encourages friendships and we have gathered each evening with Mary Lou from Florida, Nancy from California, Cindy and Rich from Phoenix, and Sylvia and Mike from GB. Some times Kay and Betty from Australia join us or Joy and George from Michigan. We enjoy or pre dinner libations and share stories of our adventures. It has been great fun and we plan to keep in touch.
It will be sad to say goodbye to the Tahitian Princess, the White Lady. She will go on a world cruise in January, then into dry dock in the summer to be refurbished, will be renamed the Ocean Princess and only visit French Polynesia for three months in the fall rainy season. We all agree that we would like to see her current décor maintained. She is an elegant vessel in need of some TLC.



Advertisement



Tot: 0.072s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 33; dbt: 0.0455s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb