Day 72: Diving with sharks‏


Advertisement
Fiji's flag
Oceania » Fiji » Yasawa Islands » Naviti Island
February 19th 2013
Published: February 25th 2013
Edit Blog Post

After 9 hours sleep we thought it best that we get up and breathe the morning air before breakfast. There's a short hike up to a lookout point and so while James ran back and forth a couple of times, I walked up to the top and back. Breakfast was good and we had these delicious banana scones. The morning activity was coconut jewellery making, and it's amazing what you can do with a coconut shell and some sand paper! The rest of the morning was spent hanging around in a hammock, sun bathing on the beach or swimming in the sea. We booked in with Reef Safari for a couple of dives this afternoon and after speaking to some other divers we decided to got out to the caves for our first dive. Our second dive was with sharks - I was pretty reluctant at first but the instructor ensured me that they were 'friendly' sharks. It turned out that the shark wasn't the problem and I was actually attacked by a small fish that uses a sucker to stick to sharks, instead it took a fancy to my inner thigh which was a rather unpleasant feeling!

Bailey's bit: The dives we did were the longest we have done so far (45 and 42 minutes) and the coral and wildlife we saw while down there were pretty spectacular! Along with the sharks we saw a small school of bumphead parrot fish, which were bigger than the sharks! After dinner we were treated to a brief history of Fiji and the islands and then a little bit of kava which was enough to send us both to bed by 9:30!

Daily mileage: 2 the 'hike' I ran up was a twisting route over mud path, rocks and overgrown trails. I did 2 out and backs (around half a mile each way) but it seems I may have missed the main path so will look for that in the morning. Did a little swimming in the morning and the diving always takes it out of you!


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.171s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 9; qc: 46; dbt: 0.114s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb