Fiji


Advertisement
Fiji's flag
Oceania » Fiji » Viti Levu
August 18th 2003
Published: August 18th 2003
Edit Blog Post

Fiji...

A country I never really thought about visiting, but one I truly enjoyed. Although our time there was short, it was much appreciated. The culture and the people in Fiji make the country -- they are truly amazing. The locals are the most friendly people I've met and they welcome you with open arms. They take great pride in their culture and they are eager to share it with you.
Kava, their beloved drink, is everywhere.... and it looks about as good as it tastes. A mixture of water and root of the Kava tree, Kava is a warm, brown drink that basically looks like muddy water. It's banned everywhere in the world because it is a drug -- but it is an intricate part of their culture and they love it! It doesn't have alcohol in it, but when you drink it, you can feel your mouth go numb. And if you drink too much, your whole body will go numb. Most fijians actually drink Kava more than they drink alcohol. But their Kava ceremonies are a sacred ritual to them, and I was lucky to get to take part in one ...

The people aren't the only beautiful part about Fiji - - the country itself is truly amazing. Pristine waters, lush vegetation, sugarcane fields everywhere...

Erin and I took full advantage of what we could while we were there - we spent the day on the island of Mala Mala snorkeling, fishing, and drinking Kava with the locals. We went down to Coral Coast and swam, visited the Cultural Center of Fiji, and learned all we could about the history and culture of the country.



Advertisement



Tot: 0.117s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0356s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb