9/11


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Sydney
September 11th 2003
Published: September 11th 2003
Edit Blog Post

As I came into the city on the bus this morning, all I thought of was this day -- 2 years ago.

September 11.

A day the whole world remembers. A day, that for a moment, the whole world stopped.

It's intriguing to get the Australian perspective of the US at a time when terrorism is the new wave in crime. While 9/11 is a sad day for the US, October 12 is a sad day for Australia. October 12 marks one year since the bombings in Bali took place. 88 Aussies died in Bali while on "holiday". That day Australians realized that they were no longer "safe" from the terrorist activities occurring in the rest of the world. As the paper said today, "Due to Australia's "lucky" location it seems as though - like the US - we felt invincible from any tragedy." The bombings in Bali brought terrorism into a different realm for Australia and it hit close to home for them.

By talking to locals and paying attention to various media, I gather that Aussies are rather bitter toward the US. Dianne, my boss, seemed to think that after 9/11 the US got an onslaught of immediate coverage, but when 88 Australians died in Bali, the US didn't cover the bombing until 2 days later...

Working in my cafe today, I thought for a minute I could have been in New York City. The familiar hustle and bustle of the city. It's only natural for us all to get wrapped up in the rat race that we call everyday life. But sometimes it doesn't hurt to take a step back and remember what really counts, family, friends, what makes us who we are, and above all, what truly makes us happy.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.112s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 51; dbt: 0.034s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb