Relaxing in Fiji


Advertisement
Fiji's flag
Oceania » Fiji » Nadi
March 1st 2011
Published: March 1st 2011
Edit Blog Post

Finally after a month in a Camper van, we were released from Addington Jail in Christchurch, and not a day too soon either. we got away from the major Earth Quake in Christchurch which has killed over 100 people and still many missing.

We made it to Nadi, Fiji - another place we always wanted to visit but never thought we would, and here we are! Having landed at the airport, Donna our guide who picked us up from the airport, informed us that The Drift Inn where we were supposed to stay - was closed as it had been condemned. she had arranged for us to stay at another hostel, Wailoaloa Beach resort, just for the night as we wanted to go island hopping. She then recommended coming to Mana Island, and Ratu Kini's Backpackers & Dive Resort. We worked it out that it would cost us £23 each day, for 6 nights, including breakfast, lunch and dinner - well under our budget. So we jumped at the chance.

The second morning we left Wailoaloa Beach Resort to sail to the island. It was around a two hour trip as two island stops were on route.

Our boat was a catamaran, basic but would get us to our island in one piece. After stopping at a very small island a small boat came over to pick up some day trippers, this happened three times, and on the third time th. boat looked very low in the water. About half way back to shore it capsized, with all ten people now swimming for their lives. After they were all rescued we continued to sail to our island.

Finally with Mana Island in sight we could see the beach with beautiful golden sands. The island was surrounded by a coral reef about five hundred metres off shore, with a natural bay that the larger boats would come in to moor up.

Mana Island takes just two and half hours to walk around, and just ten minutes to walk from the south to north beach, perfect. We settled in and relaxed, temperature around 35c, and the water just a little cooler. We found most of the afternoons we would go in to the sea for about an hour to cool down then back on the beach to dry off.

Our room; well we were right in the middle of the local village, with us having to go past the junior school to get to our room. Electricity goes on at 5pm ish and gets turn off around 8am ish so no power at all during the day - and no electric fan!!. Only the bar area had any power but it was not a problem it just meant we saved ourselves the walk back to our room and we spent most of the day outside on the beach and in the sea. Perfect!

We had bought drinks before setting off to the island including a 1.175 litre bottle of over proofed rum, and with 6 nights to stay we worked out about 100 mls each night each would finish off the bottle. After the first night, the next morning the bottle only had about 200 mls left, woops! But no hang over surprisingly. Think we'd better slow down on the drinking of rum. Although it is very nice.

With the boat coming and going every day we get to see new people, and say good-bye to others, so a high turn around of people is to be expected. Everyone seems to island hop alot - which probably explains the amount of bedbugs. Luckily we escaped this pest too.

Ratu Kini has activities going on every day, from making baskets out of palm leaves, to jewellery making and walks around the island. They keep the activities fun and friendly, and most people get involved. So far we have made baskets, bracelets out of coconut husk, learnt how to open a coconut, and made necklaces out of coconut shell. All good fun.

Sunday 28th was a morning of diving for Bryan, who got to see two schools of dolphins, with about twelve dolphins in each school. Diving the the famous supermarket was okay, but did not get to see any sharks. Jody spent the day sitting by the beach, sun shining and the water lapping up on the perfect beach, what more could you ask for....!

so Tuesday 1st March we spent the morning on the beach. it was low tide so we walked out to the coral reef and watched all the beautiful fish through the water before heading back to the main island on a small boat (as the big boat had broken down) oh well only a few more hours before we set off for Brisbane, Australia, and another Wicked camper van, oh how we can't wait. not...!


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement



Tot: 0.087s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0531s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb