The day the Earth Moved


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Christchurch
February 22nd 2011
Published: February 25th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Today, Tuesday 22nd February, well what a day and so close we could have been right in the middle of the Earth Quake.

The day started at 9:15 the bus to take us to the airport was late, and our flight was due to take off at 10:35, finally the bus arrived and ferried us to the airport. we had checked in and just before going through security Bryan realised that his beautiful Digital SLR camera was missing. :-( so after a call to the Jail Hostel he found the camera was on the bus and that they would be back at the airport in 15 minutes, it was 10:00..... we did discuss what to do if the bus didnt arrive on time. the camera cost more than the flights so financially it would be better to miss this flight and get on the next one. Bryan did suggest that i go on to Auckland alone and he would get the next flight up there in time for our flight to Fiji. At 10:18 still no bus and no camera! so running back to the airport departures, through security and at the departure gate he asked if he could have just a few more minutes. they said if you don't stay here and get on the plane they will remove the luggage. no choice really. Bryan opted to get on the plane, and this was later to prove absolutely the right choice!

Upon arriving at Auckland airport Bryan phoned the hostel in Christchurch to say the bus didnt make it back to the airport in time and could they post it on for us. well they said it had been left at airport lost luggage for us so after a bit of hassell getting the number, Bryan phone Christchurch lost luggage. guess what they didnt have it either. so he tried to call the hostel back but couldn't get through. we obviously know why now! we took our time and checked in to our next flight, then in the queue someone mentioned about an Earth quake in Christchurch, it was just an over heard conversation, so not taking much notice we carried on.

then, going through the rigamarole of security and x-ray scanner, Bryan got pulled over as the key ring from San Francisco was a small pair of hand cuffs from Alcatraz, even through we had already been on two flights and not picked up at security, the security would not let us take them on to the plane. The small hand cuffs were classed as restraining devices, OMG you did not see the size of these handcuffs, they would only just fit a finger in each one they were so tiny! what are they like and what are they thinking? Jobsworth a step too far! The security were very friendly and apologetic and we had a long chat with them, but still they took them. Only one thing for it, we'll have to go back to San Francisco to get another one....!

We bought ourselves lunch and sat watching the world go by with the big screen TV's showing the latest cricket, then the TV turned over and the volume rose. Christchurch had an Earth Quake, at around 1pm, OMG, we had just left Christchurch and taken off just before 11am. Christchurch airport was closed, the city had been hit very hard, much harder than last September's quake.

The main cathedral in the centre of Christchurch, the same one Jody had been photoed next to the day before, the spire had completely collapsed into the square outside, and many of the buildings around the street we were walking around were littered with fallen buildings, smoke, dust, people walking around with their heads covered in blood. It was compelling watching as we had only just left Christchurch and if we had changed our flight to a later flight we would have been at the airport when the Earth Quake hit and certainly not made our flight to Fiji. phew!

Christchurch airport was closed, as many of the windows has broken, and people were being evacuated to open spaces. New Zealand closed it's entire airspace delaying our flight out also

So finally we arrived in Nadi, Fiji at 8.30pm, after a delayed take off due to the Earth Quake. We met with Donna, a local Fijian who was to look after us. she had some more bad news for us...! the hostel we were booked into, The Drift Inn was closed as the government had condemned the building. Just what else could happen today?

It turned out we were moved to a different Hostel that was much nicer (well it could not be any worse). We said to Donna that we had not booked anything after the first night, so she come up with some options, spending 6 days on a Fijian island. this turned out to be full board and under budget - sounded perfect - good news at last. So she arranged to pick us up the next morning and take us to the ferry port to catch the boat to Mana Island. she was a star. she even got her driver to stop by the cashpoint and onto a supermarket so we could buy some drinks to take with us which would be cheaper than buying drinks on the island.

the next day on the catamaran we were to stop at two islands on our way to Mana island where we were staying. the first stop was a tiny island, the boat stopped ok, and a small boat ferried ten people at a time to shore. On the third trip the boat was well over loaded, and about half way to the island it capsized, all ten people in the water! we were so far away watching them all struggling to swim and stay afloat. the captain of our boat reversed the boat, why he did not go forward I don't know, and we slowly got closer to the ten people, Bryan was very concerned that someone might have go underwater and Bryan was ready to dive in to the water just incase. Then to everyones surprise, as soon everyone was holding on to something, the captain of our boat sailed off and left them! we were astonished what if someone was in shock or needed treatment, there were no other boats to help out or able to get help if needed. nothing we could do about it though.

We finally arrived at Mana beach, and wow it was stunning! a perfect sandy beach and clear waters around the island. Bryan caught sight of a turtle as the boat came in to the island. Our accommodation was right in the middle of the Fijian village with a small school and people living their lives on the island. our room, although basic was more than we need for our week in the sun. its really funny though as the village only has electricity between 5pm and 8am!

So as you see, the Earth moved in Christchurch in quite a terrible way, and even though we had a lucky escape, catching what much have been one of the last flights out of Christchurch airport, our 24 hours was quite eventful. But our thoughts are with, our friends at the Jail Hostel in Christchurch and those in the city who have been hit so hard. we still have no news of how they fared.

Now relaxing on a beautiful beach on Mana Island, and Island that takes just two and half hours to walk around the coast line, the sun is shining and it is 35 degrees in the shade. Time to relax...!


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement



Tot: 0.041s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 14; qc: 27; dbt: 0.019s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb