Funny Money


Advertisement
Cook Islands' flag
Oceania » Cook Islands » Rarotonga
August 9th 2008
Published: August 9th 2008
Edit Blog Post

So we got here Monday morning after a 10 hour red eye flight from LA. We're staying at the International Backpackers and the bunch there are more friendly than in America. We thought we'd walk into town to get our bearings only to find, 2.5 hours later, that it was a bank holiday and everywhere was closed!

The Cook Island is a small, sleepy tropical Island in the South Pacific. The Islanders are friendly but there are a gazzillion roosters roaming the place who all like to enter a 'who has the loudest cock-a-doodle-doo competion' at about 6am every morning (and I think the winner lives just outside our bedroom window!)

We're getting into the swing of this backpacking milarkee now and developing our range of budget meals. In terms of insect bites, Jen is winning 8-0 so auntie Liz's vinegar has already come in handy.

We've hikes to one of the highest points on the Island, the Needle, which involved a few ropes to reach the summit. We've also hired bikes a couple of days and have cycled round the entire island. In line with the bank holiday to celebrate their constitution there's been an inter island dance and music competition running all week. We went to Thursday night's show and boy can they shake their hips!

We've even managed to go clubbing last night with some folk from the hostel. Some of them have already been to the places we're going so it's been good to swap stories.

The weather is very changeable! One minute it's cracking the flags then there's a sudden down pour and we're drenched! (The waterproof ponchos have come in handy! Thanks Stef and Martin x )
They have funny money too, triangular coins and a $3 note (what's that all about?)

We came to the Cook Islands to slow down, unwind and ease in to back packing. We've done just that and we've enjoyed our week here. We leave on Monday, for Aukland, and the good reports we've heard about New Zealand mean we're looking forward to it even more....

Love ,
J&N
xxx


PS. One for Vikki.... We've searched Hollywood, Beverly Hills and the rest of LA, now we've scoured the whole of the Cook Islands and we still can't find Zak Optimus Prime or whatever his name is.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



10th August 2008

Love your hostel its very chic miss you
16th August 2008

Hi Jen and Nick. enjoying your blog and thinking of you both. Look forward to the next instalments. Lol Val xx
21st August 2008

His name is Zac Efron!! thanx 4 lkin!
23rd August 2008

finally got round to reading your blog.... hope your both enjoying yourselves,, take carexx

Tot: 0.056s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 14; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0253s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb