Sun in the Cook Islands


Advertisement
Cook Islands' flag
Oceania » Cook Islands » Rarotonga
January 23rd 2007
Published: January 27th 2007
Edit Blog Post

yey, Sun!!

So New Zealands absolutely stunning but the weather was a bit rainy (2 days straight) so we were praying for the gorgeous sun before we hit the northern hemisphere again. Looks like we got our wish, 26 most days which is great.

We arrived nice and early, 3am to be precise! greeted by a live Cook Islands style band, they were very upbeat for 3am. We watched as familys welcomed each other back to there home island, placing beautiful garlands of colourful flowers around their necks.

The Cook Islands is made up of 22 islands and 18,000 people roughly live on on them, 9,000 being on the main island of Rarotonga, where we are. It's very small with one main town, nothings built up like most towns. Believe it or not theres also no mcdonalds, how refreshing! Infact I was told that when they go to New Zealand they bring back cold happy meals for there relatives who have never tasted it!

The centre of the island is built up with mountain peaks and lush greenery. Around the outside of the island is where all the little villages and shops are. Theres one main road
The  Cook IslandsThe  Cook IslandsThe Cook Islands

me snorkeling
that circles the island, you can catch one of two buses, the choice is anti clockwise or clockwise! so funny!

Once again like Thailand weve hired a motorbike, but unlike thailand Will had to get his Cook Islands driving licence, he just followed a policeman around for 10 mins!

After our hectic touring of New Zealand weve just been enjoying the weather and snorkeling and kayaking on the beautiful turquoise blue south pacific.

The Cook Islands is a wonderful place, so unique and full of colour and personality, with this in mind we want to dedicate this blog to Will's Granded Bob, who shares the islands qualities.

Grandad were thinking of you and cant wait to come home and share our adventures and holiday snaps with you soon.

Take Care everyone, will put pics on when I can find somewhere to do it.

Love Will & Clairexxxxxxxxxxxxx



Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.035s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0186s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb