Cook Islands


Advertisement
Cook Islands' flag
Oceania » Cook Islands » Aitutaki
March 2nd 2008
Published: March 14th 2008
Edit Blog Post

I was missing Fiji, leaving it behind on the way to Rarotonga, the capital of Cook Islands. Arriving at the tiny airport was a new experience. It's like a bus terminal with all the shop closed. A nice thing about the pacific region is the welcome singing and ukulele!

Looking out at the beach was nice but I didn't find it a paradise. After Fiji we have been really spoilt! The water is a different colour to Fiji. I found the island very touristy. There are resorts all over the island. Only 23 Km in circumference with one road which circles the island. There are no traffic lights, crossing or round abouts. There is an hourly island bus, which circles the island. It can be frustrating moving on the island if you don't have a scooter as you have to take the island bus. All the shops close early so you have to do things by afternoon. As they say, it's island time!

In search of paradise I went to Aitutaki. It's an island 1 hour by plane. I was really happy to be in Aitutaki. It has a Feejee feel to it. It's small and not touristy like Rarotonga. People say hello on the road if they are passing by on a scooter. Something I can never image happening in Rarotonga. Aitutaki lagoon is meant to be a paradise or a heavenly place, as they describe it in brochures. This place (Aitutaki) really is paradise. An island in the middle of pacific ocean with the nearest large island a hour away, by plane...

The bright sparkling jade green to azure colour waters, it defies description. It's amazing how the colour of the water changes so quickly with different shades of green and blue. I have never seen green sea with crystal clear water. We took a cruise around the lagoon. There was the honey moon island, one foot island, islands from the survivors series and shipwreck. Secluded beaches everywhere in Aitutaki. We also went snorkeling, it was no where good as Fiji, we have become spoilt after Fiji.

in Cook Islands there are Maori people and speak a different language to the New Zealand Maori. We went to couple of church service, conducted in Maori. We also went to the island night. There is a traditional dance show and music. Well known in the pacific region I guess.

Cook Islands is a place I really felt cut off from everything. Lack of transport, no mobile reception and ridiculously expensive phone calls and internet. Actually, I must have made the most expensive phone call using my credit card. Around 10 mins to UK for 45 pounds.

It was strange having so much time in Cook Islands during my travels as most of the time I am moving or doing something. I have spent 4 weeks Pacific Islands and my fantasy of being in paradise islands have definitely been fulfilled. Los Angeles will feel really fast and big!


Additional photos below
Photos: 38, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.057s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0362s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb