A tropical paradise!


Advertisement
Cook Islands' flag
Oceania » Cook Islands » Aitutaki
January 29th 2019
Published: January 29th 2019
Edit Blog Post

For all the internet researchers who have stumbled across Aitutaki in the Cook Islands, firstly kudos for the meticulous research on potential travel destinations. And if by chance you clicked on google images of this paradise, I can understand if some skepticism may be creeping in. Perhaps you're wondering if an island could possibly be as beautiful and captivating as the images portray, has there been some liberal use of photoshop? Well my friends, rest assured Aitutaki is everything and more than you could ever imagine. For my part, nearly a week has passed in wonderful Rarotonga, when all the talk revolved around a visit to this tropical wonderland. A few guests from the hostel were keen to take the plunge, and I formed the impression that most visitors to the Cook Islands have a visit to Aitutaki at the top of their bucket list. So it was all systems go, with the hostel manager Jesse organising everything for us. A note of caution, however, a day trip to Aitutaki with Air Rarotonga sets you back a whopping 493 New Zealand dollars. The day is all inclusive with pick ups and drop offs from the hotel, return flights, a tour of the island by truck, and of course the Vaka cruise with multiple island stop offs, snorkelling, and an unforgettable lunch. The price tag quickly fades from memory, but the beauty of the island and her translucent lagoon are truly unforgettable.

As mentioned, the journal left off with your intrepid travel correspondent firmly ensconced in Rarotonga. As all the resorts are on the same part of this small island, every time you step out there are other travellers or locals around you know and can have a pleasant chat with. It's a wonderfully social and informal little island in which to laze away a vacation in the tropical sun. We were up at 6:30am for the hotel pickup, and the super chatty driver picked up other guests from separate resorts. The tickets were sorted on a propellor plane within minutes at the airport, and it's a 45 minute flight out to paradise. The views of the lagoon as the plane begins it's descent for landing are out of this world. The guide herded us in to a flat bed truck and we toured the island, getting our first taste of the humour and charm of our professional companion for the day. Within an hour the truck dropped us off at the stunning translucent lagoon and our large Vaka awaited. The vessel holds up to 50 guests, and we were greeted with music as the local boys got us in the mood for a wonderful day on the water.

During the course of the cruise, the boat stops at three separate islands on the lagoon. They are all stunningly beautiful, and the first island is a nesting ground for local birds who will fly right in front of your face without an ounce of fear. It reminded me of a similar experience on the island of Rodrigues a few years ago. We had a swim and a stroll around the island, then the boat headed out with more hilarious commentary and singing as the boys kept us entertained. There's been some cloud and rain for the first time overnight in Rarotonga, which had us all a little apprehensive, but it was a perfect clear sky for the entire cruise on the lagoon. The second island has been featured in the Survivor series, and once we set foot on the island it's easy to understand why. We enjoyed snorkelling, sunbaking, and relaxing before we headed out to One Foot Island. Prior to stopping off we pitched anchor and got to snorkel with giant fish that swim right by and around the boat. There are also giant clams which we discovered with a little bit of help from the local guides.

After an hour in the water we had a luxurious stop of over an hour after lunch on the glorious One Foot Island. Many of the tourists chose to get their passports stamped, but I'm running out of pages so declined the offer. But I did promise the surprised guide that I'm legit! A walk around the island takes just 30 minutes, and it's one of the most beautiful islands I've had the privilege to visit. Rest assured the camera and phone were working overtime with photos and videos galore. Then we headed back to our starting point on the sturdy Vaka, indulging in a few beers to cap off an unforgettable day. By the time we got back to the hostel it was 7:00pm after a full day on the water. Jesse had only been filling in at the hostel, and the manager was due back the next day. This led to an exodus of guests to the other backpackers on the island, and we were grateful for the move as Rarotonga Backpackers has it's own beach, swimming pool, and beach huts, which three of us grabbed right by the water.

There were three more days to enjoy on Rarotonga, with perfect accommodation lined up and Jesse still keeping in contact to keep the two groups together. He'd send a message to me, and then swing by to include us in various activities in a big group of around 15 people. We enjoyed a fine dining experience together as a large group that evening. The next night it was Friday and time to party, again! For the second week in a row Jesse organised a big group for the pub crawl, and I was keen for a repeat performance. On this occasion the mini golf course and accompanying bar were open, and I played an incredible 18 holes with a young German guy, ending up in a tie at the end of our game. The beers must have helped, because no matter how difficult the obstacles we managed to nail every hole in 3 or 4 shots. The other guys just gave up around half way through. Then it was on to other bars and clubs till all hours. To my surprise this night was even more fun than last week, everyone was in terrific spirits and we just hung as a group and danced the night away. For some of us the evening ended up in the sea around 4:00am at the end of an epic night out. Despite our heroics Jesse swung by at 9:15am and a full bus went out to the Saturday markets. Incredibly everyone seemed to make it, and we strolled around at our leisure on what was a very steamy morning.

I took my scooter back at the end of a 10 day hire that evening, still shocked to pay the princely sum of 15 dollars a day with no deposit. I enjoyed a final evening relaxing at the hostel, there was some talk of repeat heroics out hitting the clubs, but it gradually petered out as the night wore one. We just sat around the table by the pool chatting in an easy manner. I'll never forget the wonderful visit to the Cook Islands surrounded by great company and beautiful islands, basically all of you should be here now!


"And know that I am with you always; yes, to the end of time." Jesus Christ



As I continue my travels, until next time it's signing off for now

Tom

Note: Feel free to post comments on this site, or click on the subscribe button for notification of upcoming travel journals


Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement



Tot: 0.099s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 10; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0613s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb