Aitutaki - quite possibly the prettiest blue waters I've ever seen


Advertisement
Cook Islands' flag
Oceania » Cook Islands » Aitutaki
September 7th 2018
Published: September 22nd 2018
Edit Blog Post

There's a saying on the island that there's no blue like Aitutaki blue, and they're not lying. I've been incredibly lucky to visit some incredibly beautiful places, but when it comes to amazing blue water - one of my favorite things - Aitutaki was absolutely mind blowing. You don't want to know how many pictures I have of nothing but water. The main island is surrounded by the amazing lagoon and all sorts of postcard-perfect smaller islands (called motus). It's the sight of all sorts of Survivor-like shows, and a few of the motus were closed for filming something called "Shipwreck" while we were there.

Pretty-ness aside, it's also one of my favorite islands to visit. It's tiny, maybe 2,000 people?, and primarily gets supplies delivered once a month by a cargo ship. As a visitor, grocery shopping is a bit of an adventure as each small shop carries a fairly random array of items depending on what is in supply and the day of the week (e.g., you may be able to find bread three days a week...usually before 8:30am...). It's incredibly quiet and peaceful, except for the chickens...so many loud chickens..., with days spent on/in the water and the nightlife by my cabin focused on some pretty entertaining beach bonfires.


Additional photos below
Photos: 69, Displayed: 22


Advertisement



Tot: 0.076s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0459s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb