Sale Revisited, Lakes Entrance and onto NSW


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia
February 15th 2017
Published: February 18th 2017
Edit Blog Post

With the insurance claim approved we drove back to Sale on Wednesday 8 February, arriving late morning to drop off the caravan for the replacement annexe to be installed. Picked up the van at 4.30pm and stayed overnight at the showgrounds in Sale. Great to have an annexe again. Also replaced the external TV aerial connection, new door handle and replaced an external power point connection as part of the insurance claim. We celebrated by having a few drinks at the Greyhounds club, which is next to the showgrounds. No car required.

Thursday we left for Lakes Entrance, albeit a little worse for wear. We were looking forward to Lakes Entrance, however it is very much a tourist town, similar to Noosaville, which isn't really our type of town. So we stayed overnight only.

Friday we left for Eden, initially, but continued on to Merimbula. Goodbye Victoria, hello New South Wales.The road was quite windy and the scenery was very picturesque. There are a number of national parks on this drive. We stayed at a caravan park 6km outside of Merimbula, which had good size van sites and open fields to take Jayme (and us) for walks. The caravan
Lakes EntranceLakes EntranceLakes Entrance

Packed them in like sardines
park doesn't cater for children in that there are no bouncing pillows, playgrounds, water slides, etc, so it suited us very well. We stayed here until Monday 13 February and went into Merimbula a couple of times. It is also quite a touristy town (became a holiday spot for Victorians in the 1950's). There are no older style houses and a very open look as there are no trees in the yards and suburbs. The road into Merimbula is very windy and we were glad we didn't drive into Merimbula with the caravan attached.

On Monday we drive to Batesman Bay and this was a disappointment. A larger town than we anticipated and once again, a tourist-type town. The house sizes were small and packed tight. The people were like us - tourists. We weren't aware of anyone who lived there. There are only 2 caravan parks, which was surprising for the size of the town, and both quite expensive for what you get. Another overnight stay.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

NSWNSW
NSW

onto NSW
NSWNSW
NSW

Hello NSW
MerimbulaMerimbula
Merimbula

van site
MerimbulaMerimbula
Merimbula

View from our caravan
MerimbulaMerimbula
Merimbula

open fields
MerimbulaMerimbula
Merimbula

wonderful space


19th February 2017

Coastal wanderings
Great to see you have your rig back to rights. Not surprised you weren't that keen on Bateman's Bay. It used to be the first town on a trip to the 'coast' for a lot of Canberra residents and there are a number of nice beaches around that way. Probably all the camping areas have been built out by housing developments since we last visited the area, though.
19th February 2017

Coastal wanderings
Great to see you have your rig back to rights. Not surprised you weren't that keen on Bateman's Bay. It used to be the first town on a trip to the 'coast' for a lot of Canberra residents and there are a number of nice beaches around that way. Probably all the camping areas have been built out by housing developments since we last visited the area, though.
20th February 2017

Pat, you're right. There were no camping areas that we could see, but there was a lot of housing development. And one thing we have observed is the housing developments look no different from those in Palmerston to those in Batesman Bay and other towns. Booring.
19th February 2017

The price of things in the good old days.
Diana & I purchased our brand new Chesney caravan in 1974 for $2,000.00 and we splurged out and bought a brand new annex for............. $500.00. I last used it all 5 years ago. Happy Caravaning you Rich People. :)
20th February 2017

"Rich people"
I suppose there is value in insuring items at times. :-)

Tot: 0.086s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0386s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb