THE BAMA WAY


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia
September 6th 2006
Published: September 6th 2006
Edit Blog Post

The BAMA Way-30th June

While we were in Cooktown, John, Cris, Claire and I were keen to learn more about the indigenous people living in the area, what better way to do this than in the company of one of the elders. Our journey to Hope Vale took us 40 minutes north of Cooktown. Hope Vale (Dyuubi) was built in the late 1940’s and has a population of 1,500 people.

We travelled through lush countryside, over creeks and finally along a single, red dusty track to the metal gates where we were warmly greeted by Wilfred Gordon, Nugal-warra Elder. We put on our walking shoes and Willie gave us all sturdy sticks before starting our 4 hour journey into the unknown. The scenery was beautiful, stopping regularly, leaning on our sticks we hung on to his every word. We were shown how his ancestors lived off the land, the bush food, herbs and amazingly we were invited to eat green ants. Aborigine women also used these in a drink as a form of contraception. The sap from one tree is red (bloodwood) and we experienced how this could be used as an antiseptic and a skin protector.

The highlight of the trip was clambering over huge granite boulders down to the caves where we spent considerable time learning about the meaning of their rock art. Aboriginal people used stories to explain things, the cave paintings we saw were simplistic and invitations to provide our own interpretation proved difficult without the input from our elder guide. Willie provided us with insights into Aboriginal society and explains the story the paintings depict and the significant relationship they have with the land.

It was a really valuable, spiritual experience and we were left pondering on our identity!
- Bama means Aboriginal person, and in this clan area it means person, regardless of nationality or race.

www.guurrbitours.com



Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Willie GordonWillie Gordon
Willie Gordon

Deep in thought?


6th September 2006

I am SO SO envious of this experience as I have always wanted to go on such a trip with an elder - maybe one day? I'm intrigued to know how you made the contact and went about it.
8th September 2006

Time to start saving
Before you left for pastures new (but old to Willie), I recall saying that David and I need to save up and experience Australia for ourselves, sounds like you'd be good guides!!

Tot: 0.099s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0521s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb