Melbourne - Day 5


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia
March 19th 2013
Published: March 21st 2013
Edit Blog Post

SYD_20130319_1047SYD_20130319_1047SYD_20130319_1047

Sydney Kingsford Smith Airport Domestic Departures
Didn't get much sleep after 03:30 because it was humid in the apartment and was full of anticipation for the next part of the holiday.

Got up around 06:30 and pottered around getting ready. Brian got ready around 07:30
We decided to risk getting bacon, egg and fried tomato breakfast below the apartments in Casina
This was the same people as previous holiday we found that had moved up to revovated cafe from where the new Pie Face is.
Suitably full, we checked out at 08:30.

Walked to Museum station for the Domestic Airport train and figured out the ticket machine.
Luckily there was an attendant that could be bothered and helped Brian prise the case from the barriers that had sandwiched it.

Got onto the first train on platform 2, but then after 3 stops realised it was not the airport shuttle - doh!
So we had to back track a bit before getting to Qantas departures check-in.

Looking round realised that there were no check-in desks only rows of electronic check-in kiosk terminals and rows of bag drop belts.
Figured out that we had to print everything ourselves including the baggage labels.
Next problem: how to bag drop without them going to China.
There were a couple of staff to ask and was helped to do that successfully.
Security was fine and had time for tea / orange juice near our departure gate.

Huge plane that was full, but it was a great flight in the sunshine and was spoilt with an iPad and streaming entertainment.
Pity there wasn't time to watch the whole of "The Iron Lady" with Meryl Streep and Jim Broadbent.
But we did manage tea and chicken and leek quiche described as "pie".
The landscape is mountains covered with patchy green forest giving way to valleys and patchwork farms that are light brown in a grid pattern.
Each usually has its own reservoir with either light brown or algae green muddy water, emphasing the preciousness of water.

Unexpectedly, being domestic arrivals, there's little formal security checks and the baggage collection is after you've exited - makes for a speedy onward journey.
Had to go to the Europecar office across the road to collect the car, and despite the niggle of our voucher not being recognised initially was given a car upgrade to a white Toyota Carolla, by which time
MEL_20130319_1327MEL_20130319_1327MEL_20130319_1327

Arrival at Melbourne Tullamarine Airport
it was 14:30 ish.

Brian offered to drive whilst I navigated using my prepared directions, worked out the best way - thank you Google Australia.

The approach to the city in the sun was memorable.
The M1 freeway has a long flyover that over looks the river and Docklands and in front is the city rising out of the flatness.

We managed to get to our Waterfront apartments on the bank of the Yarra river next to the World Trade Centre with little event for around 15:00.
Luckily we had enough mobile signal to call the agent to meet us as we didn't fancy a fine from the Police station opposite.

Our apartment 1806 on the top floor has a stunning panoramic city view of the tallest buildings and Casino with 2 bedrooms and 2 balconies.
Totally spoilt with on-site pool, gym and sauna.
Looks like the trams are best way to get around one of which is the free City Circle with the station opposite the entrance.

We unpacked and freshened up and ventured out at around 17:30 for nibbles and a wander.

Heading down the long Flinders Street from Docklands, we followed the high level train tracks and tram lines that is reminiscent of London's St Pancras area being a mixture of old and new.
Passing the Immigration Museum we came to Flinders Street station as the hoards of commuters were heading home.
We walked up (another) Elizabeth Street up the incline (popular name) passing the usual fast food chains and local convenience and bottle shops.
Turning right into at the imposing GPO build, we walked past department stores, obviously one of the main retail streets of the city.

We settled on chicken and chips at Nandos for dinner, before continuing up the hill, passing cafes and restaurants getting full of after-work diners, to Spring Street. Where we passed the imposing sand stone Parliament building then into Victoria Parade. By which time the modern high-rises had given way to a familiar wide tree lined dual carriageway.
This seemed to be the highest part of the city, with the hill dominated by the private St Vincents hospital, diagnostic centres and private victorian houses containing surgeon's clinics.
This overlooks the two spired and naved catholic cathedral.

We then continued as it was getting dark towards the Fitzroy and Collingwood area up Smith
MEL_20130319_1555MEL_20130319_1555MEL_20130319_1555

Melbourne city view from room 1806 Flinders Wharfe apartments Docklands
street.
Here the architecture changes distinctly from Victorian to Edwardian.
Wide hilly streets are flanked by blocks of 2 storey glass fronted shops, each with large paned wooden doors and tiled entrances.
These and the covered pavements are reminiscent of other areas of colonial buildings in southern Africa.
Supported by trams you can imagine the time in the late 1920s where the road dusk is kicked up by Model T Fords is thick in the air.
The shops once of full of milliners, tailors and hardware stores are now full of artist materials, boutiques, antiques and bohemian style restaurants.

By 20:00, it was dark and atmospheric, with little street light.
So we decided to retrace our wandering, picking up some hot cross buns at the local shop near the apartment.
It's certainly seems to be more expensive to eat here.

After tea and cereal bar we went to bed around 22:30.

Do you think I'd get a job as a travel writer?


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

MEL_20130319_1556MEL_20130319_1556
MEL_20130319_1556

Right Melbourne city view
MEL_20130319_1556BMEL_20130319_1556B
MEL_20130319_1556B

Centre right Melbourne city view (Southern Cross Rail Station)
MEL_20130319_2130MEL_20130319_2130
MEL_20130319_2130

Flinders Wharf apartments lobby
MEL_20130319_2133MEL_20130319_2133
MEL_20130319_2133

Flinders Wharf apartments pool


Tot: 0.045s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0231s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb