Bowen, Queensland Australia


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia
February 8th 2011
Published: February 13th 2011
Edit Blog Post


Bowen a hidden gem on the North Queensland Coast in Australia.
A small seaside town that jutts out onto the coast and is surrounded by water. You truly feel as though you are on an island when your there.
Backpackers flock here from March to October for work on the farms for seasonal picking & packing and retired southerners flock here with camper in tow to share the sun and escape from their otherwise freezing winter.
Bowen is a tropical paradise and if you asked a lot Australians if they knew where it was they wouldn't have a clue. I took advantage of every opportunity to photograph the pristine beaches and surrounds and now am sharing with the whole world, the paradise called Bowen.
As this is a small town you can access all parts of it easily. The beaches obviously are a desirable place to stay with bays like,
Horseshoe Bay, Grays Bay, Queens Bay, Murrays Bay, Rose Bay & Town Beach.
Queens beach is a large suburb on its own and the beach there is long and vast.
For Golfing enthusist the Golf Course follows the beach around with the most magnificent views of the ocean and Gloucester Passage which leads out to the Whitsunday Islands.
Town beach is close to bars, cafes & resturants and it also has a newly developed parkland along the esplanade. The gardens are plush and the grassed picnic areas are immaculate. Take a walk out onto the old jetty and watch the sun go down as locals fish off the docks.
You will see people fishing everywhere in Bowen, it is the number one past time there with the ocean offerring an abundant of fish and shell fish.

If you are visiting the Whitsundays in Australia do your self a favour and visit Bowen. I promise you many come & never leave.



Additional photos below
Photos: 43, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Grays BayGrays Bay
Grays Bay

Cove Resort. There is a chinese resturant here that serves divine cuisine with a view of the sunset over the bay. World Class
I christened this place, "My rockI christened this place, "My rock
I christened this place, "My rock

Ï used to hike up here and sit for hours. This is my mum & cousin who came with me one day. With a beverage of course.
Queens BeachQueens Beach
Queens Beach

This was taken right in front of my beach house.
Coconut trees everywhereCoconut trees everywhere
Coconut trees everywhere

Falling to the ground everywhere
Boulder DivingBoulder Diving
Boulder Diving

One of the things you notice about the beaches here are the boulders. They are absolutely massive and perfect for climbing. Diving off them is always popular however in this pic are locals and they know where to dive. The waters are clear but ALWAYS check first. You can rock climb all day, no need for ropes just some water hat & sunscreen and a sense of adventure.
clear watersclear waters
clear waters

No photoshopping required and not taken on that specialday. This is the water in Bowen. Only if there is a storm about and the seas are churned will it be any different. Bowen does have stingers! All of North Queensland does. You can stretch the stinger season out at Horshoe bay with it being such an inlet and the stingers just seem to arrive there later than the more open beaches. March To October is ultimately the best time to swim or even visit. November to February is hot. very hot with humidity being almost unbearable. The best month in my opinion is September. Beautiful weather and a cool ocean to swim in.
View from the nature walkView from the nature walk
View from the nature walk

Horseshoe bay & rose bay are linked by road or you can walk around the coastline on the nature walk. You can lose yourself on this walk with everystep having breathtaking views. I always imagined that the greek islands would offer similar views.
Steps on the walk around the beachesSteps on the walk around the beaches
Steps on the walk around the beaches

A hint of advice. This is a very arduous walk which undulates all the time. Take plenty of water. I used to pass lots of elderly people who started out on this walk and bit off more than they could chew. The path is clearly marked and well worn but in places it is eroded so take care with your footing. Its a hard walk back if your injured and can be quite a lonely walk also. For girls I would say its safe. I never felt threatened in any way.


18th February 2011
Steps on the walk around the beaches

Beautiful
What can I say...evety time a read and look at your photos I miss you more...beautiful...xx

Tot: 0.146s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 10; qc: 50; dbt: 0.065s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb