Great Ocean Road Trip


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia
March 2nd 2010
Published: March 7th 2010
Edit Blog Post

WOW - today is the day Rob gets to visit Bells Beach!

Up bright and early ready for the pick up outside our hostel. We were taken into the city and introduced to our tour guide for the day Cam (I had pre-warned them how excited Rob was about this trip) resulting in the first words to Rob being 'Our trip to Bells has been cancelled!' Start as we mean to go on

After a 2 and a half hour drive we arrived at our first destination = Bells Beach, this was a coffee stop so Rob had plenty of time to take pictures.

Back on the bus and a little further down the road we arrived at Spilt Point Lighthouse - used in the TV programme Round The Twist.

Along the way we were able to enjoy the scenic, ocean views and also spot Eastern Grey Kangaroos.

We passed through Lorne, Apollo Bay and Port Campbell.

Our next stop was Koala Cove - we were able to see koalas and native birds in the wild - even more amazing was the fact we saw a koala walking across the road (koalas sleep 20 hours a day!) After a picnic lunch it was time to get back on the road.

Next came the rainforest walk at Otway where we walked amongst some of the worlds tallest eucalyptus trees.

Twelve Apostles - absolutely breath taking! The stories attached are also interesting apparently there was only ever 9 apostles but it was felt the religious link (12 disciples) would entice more tourists! however, due to erosion and general wear and tear there are now only 8 apostles!

Loch Ard Gorge - this has a history of a ship wreck and also a magnificent beach which we had the chance to explore and take more photos!

The final stop was at London Bridge - which has literally fallen down!

After an exhausting day we stopped off for a bite to eat whilst Cam filled up the bus.

We set off back to Melbourne at a leisurely pace (Cam had asked at the start of the day if anyone needed to be back for a certain time - we all said no).

Once we arrived in Melbourne we were woken up by a chinese couple arguing turns out they had to be back at the hostel by 9.30pm and decided to tell Cam at 9.10pm (not good).

Arrived back at our hostel around 10pm and went straight to bed - an amazing day!



Additional photos below
Photos: 45, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Cheesey Sign. . . Cheesey Sign. . .
Cheesey Sign. . .

. . . for the Great Ocean Road


Tot: 0.107s; Tpl: 0.021s; cc: 10; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0484s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb