Australia


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia
December 7th 2009
Published: December 7th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Day 32 - Tues 10.11.09 - BRISBANE - AUSTRALIA



Got in early at 6.20am. Only got about 2 hours sleep. Even though the Qantas flights are so good, they are too good at bringing round food all the time, and on a 7 hour night flight you want a bit of peace to get some sleep! Arrived in Brisbane with no accomodation booked (!), so sorted out at the airport to stay at BRISBANE CITY BACKPACKERS. Got bus there. Right in centre of Brisbane. Nice people in room, but they all seem to have been there ages so the room was a tip and the people were all quite clicky. Chilled and slept for rest of the day.



Day 33 - Wed 11.11.09


Layed in, then went to tour agent in city centre and booked the next 14 days up with trips North to Fraser island and the Whitsundays, including all buses and accomodation, spent about 1000 dollars in one go! Went on walking tour around the city, including South of the river bank where there was an artificial beach, really nice and great views of the city.

Day 34 - Thurs 12.11.09 - NOOSA

Walked to city centre again and went up the top of the clock tower to see the views. Got bus at 2pm to go to Noosa, a small town a couple of hours north of Brisbane. Staying at DOLPHIN BEACH HOUSE. Walked to the beach nearby, then quiet night with the tv!

Day 35 - Fri 13.11.09

Walked up to this viewpoint just outside the town's small centre. Started being uphill through some normal streets, then went into a national park and walking up a road with animal rattling noises on both sides...being in Oz i presumed this was rattle snakes so never walked so fast in my life! Speaking to a couple of locals at the top it turns out it was just birds! Idiot. Back to hostel in evening and beers in hostel outside area with irish girl from my room called Laura and USA guy called Eddie.

Day 36 - Sat 14.11.09 - RAINBOW BEACH

Went for a walk in the morning with Laura and Eddie to a coastal clifftop path near the town. Laura is the quickest walker in the world! I think i'm pretty fast sometimes, but after 2 hours i was knackered! Got back to the beach and collapsed for half hour! Pie shop for lunch then back to hostel to pack. Got the Premier bus up to Rainbow beach 3 hours noth. Staying at place called PIPPIES (next to Dingoes for the benefit of Chris and Brian back home). Chilled. Bed.

Day 37 - Sun 15.11.09

Rainbow beach is, as its name suggests, a beach of many different colours meant to look rainbow-like. I went for walk down there, and couldnt really say i could tell! So many 4x4's just driving up and down the beach, so bizarre yet so cool...i want one!! It was a pretty long beach (probably as big as Bournemouth beach), but only one small area to swim. And considering it was a blazing hot sunday i expected it to be packed, but it was pretty quiet. Australians are so chilled compaired to the packed beaches back home whenever we get a tiny glimps of sunshine! Rainbow beach is quite a small town, a bit like Noosa was. Really nice though. So open and roomy too. At 2pm we had our Fraser island induction talk (as Rainbow beach is how you get to Fraser island to do the self drive tours). Met my group of 10 people who would be in the 4x4 with me for the next 3 days. Including, strangely enough, Eddie from Noosa! Went shopping as a group to get our supplies for the next couple of days, talk about a headache...i dont recommend going shopping with 9 other people with different budgets and tastes! Few beers in the evening with the group.

Day 38 - Mon 16.11.09 - FRASER ISLAND

Up early for the second part of the induction talk and to pack the 4x4 for the trip. There was not only our group going that day, but another group of 11 who would be with us and doing the same route as us...nice group too. I drove the 4x4 the first part of the journey to the ferry and off the other side onto the island and for another hour or so. Without sounding too pleased for myself, i managed to get onto the ferry from the beach with some really soft sand, when the other group got stuck! I'd like to say we went back to help them, but we figured there was 11 of them already and it was more fun to stand and laugh (but we had our come-uppance for that later!). Basically the trip is around Fraser island, which is a large sand island (about 90 km long) with no proper roads, so you have to drive on the beach and on inland sand tracks, not too well made, and definately need a 4x4 to get around. You drive around for 3 days and look at all the sights. Our first stop was Lake Wabbi, an inland lake that you have to walk for about an hour to get to. To get there you had to walk through forrest and then accross a large sand area, which reminded me of what the sahara must be like, so hot to walk on to...in the end we had to run down to the lake and jump in, feet were steaming! With my driving finished, the next stop was a shipwreck on the beach called the Maheno ship wreck. Then on to camp K'gari, an aboriginal camp ground for the night. On our induction talk back at the hostel, they told us not to touch the dingos or to cut trees down to make fires, but the first thing the aboriginals did was show us some dingos and then gave us an axe and told us to get some wood for a fire...they really couldnt care less about the rules the rangers make! Then they gave us a native welcome dance, gave us a digerydoo to play (which i now love and want one!), and took us to the beach at 1.00 in the morning, where we could see the line of the milky way (i've never seen the stars like it before, so amazing!). Got very drunk on goon (boxed wine - so much cheaper than beer!)! bed about 3.

Day 39 - Tues 17.11.09

Left the campsite by 10.30. Off back driving along the 75 mile beach to a headland called India head, as far noth on the island as we could go. Saw turtles, stingrays and sharks in the sea (thats the reason we can only swim in inland lakes and not the sea there!). Then headed to Eli creek, a stream that you could lie in and float down. Then Headed inland through the main (very small) town called Eurong. Pretty much a proper concrete road street (the only one on the island) with a shop, bakery and hotel on it! Then continued inland on to the very rough sand roads for about 15 km to get to our campsite near a place called Central Station. After about an hour of very slow driving, we thought that the 4x4 was not getting any traction on the tracks and thought we were wheelspinning a lot of the way there through the sand. By the time we just made it to the campsite we got within 100 yards of our pitch and the 4x4 wouldnt move any more, even on dirt roads with the clutch fully up...and there was a nasty burning smell. looked like we'd burnt the clutch out! Just so glad we made it to the campsite! We all tried to have a go at driving but it was well and truely buggered! (told you we'd get our come-uppance!) As nobody could get a reception, as we were on a campsite pretty much in the middle of nowhere, we went for a walk in the dark in the search of a payphone (as stupid me volunteered to ring the hostel to tell them we'd broken down!). No luck with finding one, even though we'd been reasured there would be one there! Had a few drinks in the evening then bed.

Day 40 - Wed 18.11.09

Me and another guy from the other group got up at 5am to take the 45 min drive back down to the Eurong resort in their truck to use the payphone! Got back by 7.20 and pretty much everyone was still in bed. We were told by the hostel that we had to wait around for the day until they could get the mechanic out to check the truck. Not bad as he turned up about 7.30 (as he was based on the island luckily) and confirmed to us that, yes, the truck was knackered. He went off to get a low loader recovery truck and we had to wait around for him until the time he said, 1pm. We went for a walk around a trail around the forest and down by a creek, and got back for 12.45. On his word he was there at bang on 1pm with a 4x4 low loader to take the 4x4 away. He also said that someone had been out to collect us in a replacement 4x4 about 5 minutes previously, didnt see us, and had gone on to lake mackenzie (where we were meant to go and visit that morning - the highlight of the island apparently!) to look for us there, so we had to wait another hour and a half for him to come back for us. When he did, he said that had he picked us up at 1pm, he would have had enough time to take us to Lake mackenzie but as it was it was too late and we had to get back...how annoying! Highlight of the morning had to be when we were sat around in the morning at the campsite looking sorry for ourselves, when some ozzy campers walked by us, found out why we were all so misserable, then came back with a massive pile of barbequed bacon, sausages, fried bread, and tomato sauce and some cookies...so kind a thing to do. Got back to the hostel late afternoon, expecting a massive bill of over 200 dollars each (as you have to pay for any damage you cause), but only cost us 50 dollars each (only! ha!), including the cost of a new clutch, the recovery of the 4x4, and a replacement lift home! Had a free bbq back at the hostel at rainbow beach in the evening, which turned into a bit of a party...really cool night...with loads of ozzy people turning up as friends of the hostel. Got very drunk again! bed.

Day 41 - Thurs 19.11.09

Went to the bech with some people from Fraser and did some body boarding...so much fun! Chilled in hammock later. Then got overnight bus up north at 7pm to Airlie beach.

Day 42 - Fri 20.11.09 - AIRLIE BEACH

Arrived at Airlie beach at 9am. Staying at BEACHES HOSTEL. Went for a wonder around the small town and to the lagoon, another man made beach next to the marina. Met a girl on the shuttle bus to the hostel and went for a beer with her in the afternoon. Then met an irish guy in the room later and went for a few beers with him in the evening. Airlie beach is currently full of Schoolies, a bit like spring break in the USA...loads of young school leavers around...not so fun for travellers!

Day 43 - Sat 21.11.09 - WHITSUNDAY ISLAND CRUISING

Got myself a boat cruise around the Whitsunday islands for a couple of days. Got to the boa at 8.30, 50 foot ex-round the world racing yacht called ICEBERG. 12 passengers on board plus 2 crew called Triss (owner) and Phil. There were 2 polish couples who were pretty quiet, a group of three people, 2 from gernmany and 1 from lichtenstein, and an irish family with son and daughter in their 20s and their parents. Nice group and we all seemed to get on well. Sailed to Whitehaven beach (passing some dolphins on the way!), amazingly white beach which was deserted. Stayed there for an hour or so, then went to a viewpoint overlooking the beach and the natural outlet of a river on the island (we were sailing round a national park with several islands) - amazing views. Then back to boat and few beers and dinner on the boat in the evening. The owners really went out of their way to make nice dinners for us. Beers under the stars in the evening was pretty cool!

Day 44 - Sun 22.11.09 - AIRLIE BEACH

Woke up at 5.30, had breakfast, then straight into snorkelling off the boat from our overnight mooring point. The day before they had given us this speach about how dangerous the jelleyfish are this time of year, and that we should be particularly cautious of some bigger ones, and also ones as small as your thumb nail. Well the first thing we saw in the morning when we looked over the side was hundreds of jellyfish no bigger than an inch! (they looked like condoms with red dots in the middle of them!) We asked if they knew what they were but they werent sure, but said to get in anyway! Great! Given half an hour and they had all but dissapeared luckily, so we went off for a snorkle with some really amazing fish and coral. Then the little jellies started to appear again, so it was a swift retreat back to the boat for me! Moved onto another island bay and did some more snorkling...in this bay there was a massive fish about 2 thirds the size of me swimming around just below us, really friendly, apparently called a Maori Rass...huge thing! Got back on the small dingy to get back to the boat and we went past a couple of turtles just hanging out in the bay too...amazing! After this we went to a sandspit which in low tide is connected to a neighbouring island (the Hayman island), but when we got there it was unconnected to anything, and was very bizarre just sitting and having lunch on this bit of sand in the middle of the sea! After this we headed back to the marina for about 5.30pm. Checked back into Beaches hostel, and then went for beers with a guy from Holland who was in the room too.

Day 45 - Mon 23.11.09

Saw Eddie again this morning who had come up to do the sailing too! Spent most of th day in internet cafe catching up on things. The weather has been so hot (about 30 - 35 degrees) ever since i got to Oz, well pretty much since i've been away, seemed a shame to stay indoors all day, but you people will be wanting to see those pics!! Still really dizzy from being back on land after 2 days on a boat! Got bus to head back down to Brisbane at 5.30.

Day 46 - Tues 24.11.09 - BRISBANE

Arrived in Brisbane at 12.30 after 19 hours on the bus! Staying at CHILL BACKPACKERS just next door to City backpackers where i stayed last time. Went for wander round shops, chilled at hostel.

Day 47 - Wed 25.11.09 - BYRON BAY

Got bus at 12 to head south down to Byron Bay. Arrived at 4.30 (time difference of an hour as going into a different state and only one of them does the daylight saving time!). Staying at CAPE BYRON LODGE, bit of a crappy place, toilets desperately needed some repairs! Dorm of 9 people and really messy with their stuff. Not keen much on the hostel. And schoolies still everywhere, especially in town. Met girl on the courtesy bus to the hostel from UK, so went for a few beers with her in the evening down the beach and then in a couple of bars.

Day 48 - Thurs 26.11.09

Wonder around town, nice place, quite a small town, but very much touristy now which spoils it a bit (or maybe it was just all the schoolies!) There was a walk you could do to the lighthouse on the cliff at the end of the bay so went to do that, but got lost on the way and ended back on the beach, still found another different viewpoint so was happy with that!

Day 49 - Fri 27.11.09

Moved to a different hostel called NOMADS. Very nice place, very big and new, but pretty pricey too. Took a day trip to a place called NIMBIN. It is about an hour and a half away from Byron, and in the 70s they had a music concert there, and they say that the hippies just never left, and is still full of them today, just a bit older! Lots of cannabis available everywhere there and the cops dont seem to mind much. We went there on this old bus called Grasshopper tours! Good tourguide/driver with good music all the way. Spent an hour or two wondering round Nimbin, then went to this pub in the country for a BBQ lunch. Then headed to a waterfall with a massive jump you could do into the river below...pretty cool but legs shaking a bit afterwards (not too good with heights!). Then on to a viewpoint overlooking Byron, then back to the hostel. Really cool day. Went out in the evening with the 5 other guys from the hostel (4 swedish guys and a german guy), and also a load of people from the day trip, cool evening with far too much to drink! Also saw Chris from Fraser island in the town.

Day 50 - Sat 28.11.09 - COFFS HARBOUR

Went for a couple of beers with Chris in the afternoon. Then got bus at 5 to go to Coffs Harbour. Arrived there at 9.30. Got courtesy bus to hostel called AUSSITEL BACKPACKERS, a fairly chilled and homely hostel.

Day 51 - Sun 29.11.09

Walked into town and bumped into an irish guy who was in Byron! Went for a beer with him. Then walked down to the harbour and out to this island at the end of the harbour with great views of the town, very quiet too. Scenery really reminded me of home and round by the purbecks by swanage. Back to the hostel and watched tv.

Day 52 - Mon 30.11.09

Went for another walk around town and to the island. Then had a few beers in the evening with a few people from the hostel. Went to go to bed and there was some guy in my bed!! He thought it was free even though my stuff was on it and he had moved it all onto the floor, not impressed!

Day 53 - Tues 1.12.09

Went for a surf lesson today. 2 hour lesson with only me and 1 other guy being taught. Really massive waves where we were, some bigger than me! With the instructor guy pushing me into the right waves, i managed to stand up a few times on my own. Knackered after that so sat in front of the tv for most of the afternoon. Got bus at 9.30pm to go down to Sydney.

Day 54 - Wed 2.12.09 - SYDNEY

Got to WAKE UP HOSTEL at 6am. Could check into room until noon, so went to sleep for a few hours in the tv room. Really modern and massive hostel. Went for walk round town and to Darling Harbour. They had a navy distroyer and a navy submarine there that you could go in, so went for a tour round them. Then went up the skytower and had some great views of the city. Then walked down to the Opera House and the Harbour bridge. Bit chilly in the evening, and for the first time i've been away had to wear my hoodie.

Day 55 - Thurs 3.12.09

Even though i've been in Oz for almost a month, i still havent seen any kangaroos, so decided to go to the zoo today! Went down to the marina by the opera house and got boat accross to the Taronga zoo, which was possitioned on a hillside overlooking Sydney, amazing views of the city, opera house and the bridge. Saw kangaroos and koala's and loads of other native animals so my mission was complete!

Day 56 - Fri 4.12.09

Moved to CENTRAL STATION YHA. Staying in an 8 bed dorm in a railway carriage! Went to a market a couple of streets away in china town. Went to Darling harbour and had a kangaroo fillet steak, bit like normal steak but tastier. Seems wrong to go and look at them one day and eat them the next, but still had to do it!

Day 57 - Sat 5.12.09

Walked around city again. Chilled.



Advertisement



Tot: 0.069s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0263s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb