Dubbo's shack


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia
October 29th 2007
Published: October 29th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Lunch timeLunch timeLunch time

more seafood.
After finishing work at 5pm on Friday we made a beeline for the boat ramp to meet Homer (TI resident pharmacist) who was to take us and 12 others (mainly doctors and associated hospital staff on TI) out to Prince of Wales Island for the weekend. Our destination was Dubbo’s shack- a long time weekend destination for many residents on TI. Unfortunately Dubbo passed away this year, but an ongoing agreement between his family and the locals means for a bottle of rum the place is available to anyone so long as it is booked in advance. Dubbo’s shack is an open air tin hut about 5 metres back from a totally secluded private beach.

We arrived late Friday to calm conditions and were fortunate to catch an amazing sunset on the way over. A late night fish resulted in 2 sweet lip which were to be included in the following night’s feast. The weekend was great fun and included fishing, water skiing, snorkeling, bushwalking and the obligatory ‘out of tune’ camp fire sing along on the beach. On Saturday night we feasted on fresh crayfish (courtesy of Homer) until we couldn’t eat anymore. The water was like a warm
Sea viewSea viewSea view

waterbed?
bath and although we kept an eye out for crocs there were none to be seen. Our host Homer was unstoppable - think of Steve Irwin meets Donna Hay (but blokier), he was an excellent host and knew all there is to know about fishing and camping.

Life on TI is now taking on more routine. We have now had the opportunity to meet some of the mainland staff who are here working on the island, the majority being public servants/ government employees. It is many of these govt departments that are pushing up the cost of living here in terms of rents etc. I have heard it described by many as some what of a false economy, as the govt supports many of the staff and departments here and is willing to pay exorbitant rents, which in turn is pushing up the cost of living here for many Torres locals. The front page of the local paper summed it up, claiming that TI is the most expensive place to live in all of QLD.

Carissa is enjoying working at the pharmacy. She stays pretty busy and there is always something to do. It is a luxury for
Snoopy and gidgetSnoopy and gidgetSnoopy and gidget

Snoopy and gidget enjoying the view
her to get a lunch break every day, and even better that she can walk 2 minutes and be home for it.

Retravision is going well, the store is also a surf shop, toys, home wares and news agent all under the same roof. I’m more of a store man / general hand. I put stuff together and do deliveries. It’s great- I get an hour for lunch and I live 60 seconds from the shop (actually after pinching a mango from a tree for lunch on the way home its more like 65 seconds).

This weekend is the bi-annual T.I. raft race from Horn Island to T.I. Should be a lot of fun. Will keep you posted





Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

LuxuryLuxury
Luxury

Facilities are 1st class


Tot: 0.079s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0446s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb