Litchfeild, Kakadu and Darwin


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia
April 8th 2007
Published: April 8th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Litchfeild National ParkLitchfeild National ParkLitchfeild National Park

Florence Falls...
So on the last blog we were on our way to Katherine... we stayed there for 1 night but due to rain a lot of it was closed so we moved on the next day. We had not realised we had crossed a time zone so we were woken up at what we thought was 6.30am by people cutting trees down so was not impressed especially when I found 9 mossy bites on my back and 4 on my arse! (did not have a reaction to them this time just itchy!) It turned out the actual time was 8 so was little more understanding with the tree people!

After Katherine we went to Bachelor which is the gateway to the Litchfield National Park. The park was amazing huge area of land not been touched my humans and largely owned still by the abborginals who control access to some area's. We drove round and saw some amazing waterfalls and you were able to swim in them which was brilliant, crystal clear and cool... there was one closed due to a saltwater croc being spoted in the area! We stayed in park for 2 days and would highly recommend anyone who
Litchfeild National ParkLitchfeild National ParkLitchfeild National Park

Florence Falls...
visits the nothern territory to visit it!

After litchfield we went to Darwin for a couple of night and had look around the town and various other attractions... really nice city and area, you can tell in tropics now as the humidity had increased a lot and is a lot of lizards, frogs, crocs etc about. Every where is also really green as there is a monsoon season here which is quite a contrast to western oz which is largely desert like!

After few days in darwin we drove out to the Kakadu, a bit like litchfeild but a lot bigger. Due to the size and the fact a lot of roads were closed we took a flight over the park which was amazing was hour flight in small plane and they take you over a few waterfalls and various other sites. The plane stays very low the whole time and does some tight turns when circling things which did make mel feel a bit ill.... or could have been the 4 hours sleep and lack of breakfast! We also drove around to the yellow river where we stayed for the night which was really nice.

Because the flight was early morning I turned lights on and forgot to turn them off, when got back from flight battery was dead... luckily couple of people helped push start it!

We are now back in Darwin stayed in a couple of nights now and we are leaving Elton on tuesday and flying out to Alice Springs... we are a week early but thought it would be best to keep moving as got talking to some people last night and maybe able to pick up couple of weeks cash in hand work on the east coast fruit picking... the people we were talking to were orginally from UK but moved out here 30 years ago... unbeleievably they were from Bromley and had just spent this christmas over in UK and went to Kings Arms in Biggin Hill for Boxing Day! Small world!

Seems really strange to be leaving Elton, time has gone so quick and can not believe we had driven 4500 KM (chris drove 4450km, mel 50km) (i would like to add that i.. mel.. was untrusted to do any driving!!!!) in it! The west coast has been amazing but very remote spend a lot of time driving through areas were no-one lives apart from the odd bloke with a mullet and no teeth selling petrol. Having spoken to quite a few people not many people actually do the drive we did because of the remoteness and harsh heat but we are really glad we did it... will be interesting to see what it is like comparred to East Coast which is much more populated and a more travalled area!

Off to see jumping Crocs tomorrow and have to clean Elton 😞 its very dirty the front is covered in flies some the size of small birds).

Hope everyone is ok and will hopefully update soon... picking up a 4 x 4 in Alice for a week and just going to sleep in that to save on money!

Chris and Mel xx


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



8th April 2007

Great Parks
The National Parks look spectacular and the vastness must be amazing. Looking forward to hearing about Alice Springs and seeing pictures. Richard and Amber had a good trip down the East Coast and a former work friend of mine is travelling there now. You may pick up some tips from their blogs. http://www.travelblog.org/Bloggers/Ambre/ - http://www.travelblog.org/Bloggers/HayleyG/ Have fun and take care. Richard and Lila
11th April 2007

Ahoy there
Good to hear from you guys, the latest pictures look stunning. Much better than all the slack jawed yokels you have encountered, i would rather enjoyed a few pictures of 'cleetus'. I Had assumed that chris had done most of the driving, mainly for the lack of 'Brit tourists in road mayhem - Many fatalities feared' type headlines reaching us in blighty. So you will be sleeping in your car for a while...is the money running low ??? Anyway, time for sleep...its late and im working with/for Darren again tomorrow. Will try and get a call out to you soon. take care, much love from baps

Tot: 0.138s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 57; dbt: 0.063s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb