Pemberton to Augusta - Cape Leeuwin Lighthouse & Augusta Historical Museum


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia
March 13th 2024
Published: March 13th 2024
Edit Blog Post

This morning, we headed off on the Vasse Highway heading north-westerly through the tracts of national park we explored yesterday before the highway started heading in a more northerly direction. We turned west onto Stewart Road which proved to be a magnificent section of road linking the Vasse and Brockman Highways. Soon after turning off, we were amused to see on the map Pneumonia Road which takes you to the Snottigobble Loop. We didn’t take the time to explore that option! We continued to enjoy being surrounded by the trees in the Milyeannup National Park on our right and the Hilliger National Park on our left.

Upon reaching the Brockman Highway we were driving alongside the Blackwood River National Park. There are so many national parks scattered through this southern part of Western Australia but interspersed with cleared land where we saw sheep, cows and horses. We learnt about another breed of cattle today passing a Chianina Stud. Tracey had to Google that to discover that it is the largest breed of cattle in the world.

West of the small settlement of Nilup we crossed the Blackwood River where we could see a group of rafts heading down river and someone in a tinny enjoying a spot of fishing upriver. At Karridale we turned south onto the Bussel Highway which took us the rest of the way into Augusta. Cathy had read last night that the Visitor Centre in Augusta has been closed so we should head to the Newsagent for tourist assistance. So we pulled up near the Newsagent.

Hmmn, waited out turn to ask about maps and information about activities in and around Augusta only to be told that no, the news agency hasn’t had the responsibility for a couple of years, we should head to the BP Service Station. The servo is on the same side of the road as the public toilets, so we decided to go to the loo on our way past. Thank goodness Cathy was ahead of Tracey and took one for the team discovering that someone had thrown up in there. Eeeeuuuuwww!

Cathy decided to wait to use the Men’s after Steve, Tracey and Bernie decided to continue to the BP to see if they had a toilet there. Um, no, and then they started to direct us to where we had just been. Tracey told them it was unfit for use and suggested they contact the council about having it cleaned. They were able to advise us about an alternative loo near the IGA and pointed us to their corner of tourist information and left us to our own devices. Weird. Everywhere else has been FANTASTIC with tourist information. Our visit to Augusta was not panning out well so far.

After using the facility at the IGA, we walked back to the bakery that we had passed on the way into town to console ourselves with some morning tea! The cakes and coffees were delicious. It’s amazing how coffee and carbs can make you feel much better about how the day is going!

We drove out to Cape Lewin to visit one of the four geographical ‘corners of Australia’ wit this being the south-west tip of the mainland. It is also the place where the Indian and Southern Oceans meet. Out on the cape you can also visit the tallest lighthouse (57-metres) on mainland Australia. The lighthouse is still working and is vital for seafarers navigating the treacherous seas around the cape.

Despite being a working lighthouse it is possible to do a guided tour. The 12.00 noon tour was already full, so we booked in for the 12.30pm tour. While we were waiting, we were able to visit the Interpretative Centre house in the original lighthouse keepers’ cottage that dates back to 1895 as does the lighthouse itself.

It was blowy out on the cape today! We were almost being blown off our feet as we made out way out to the lighthouse for our 12.30pm tour. On our way we made sure to take photographs of the lighthouse and the confluence of the Indian and Southern Oceans.

When our tour commenced, Scarlet assured us that the weather today was good for cape, and it can be much worse. In addition to being mainland Australia’s tallest lighthouse it was also the first in Australia and one of the first in the world to use a Chance Bros mercury pedestal. This enabled the lens to revolve every ten seconds which was a huge improvement on the roller bearing pedestals in use at that time.

After climbing the lighthouse, we were able to venture out onto the viewing platform. Wow, if we thought it was windy at ground level that was nothing in comparison to the wind forces 57-metres above the ground!

Back on terra firma we headed back to the vehicles and drove them along to the water wheel that was used to pump fresh water to the lighthouse. Over the years the water wheel has become ‘petrified’ due to the calcium in the water.

We headed back into town for lunch at the Deckchair Café. BLTs all round again, except they weren’t. I mean they were delicious BUT the greenery inside was spinach AND there was cheese as well. So … that’s not really a BLT is it??

Our next stop was over at the Augusta Historical Museum to view its collections dedicated to the history of Augusta which was settled in May 1830 making it the third oldest European settlement in WA. It is believed to have been named for Princess Augusta the second daughter of King George III. The museum holds an interesting collection of artifacts from ship’s bells to textiles and china.

From the museum we made our way around to our accommodation for the next two nights at the Seine Bay Apartments. Here in Augusta, we are in a lovely modern apartment with two bedrooms and two bathrooms and even a third toilet downstairs.

With the wind howling even in town we decided to brave a walk along the river to the entrance. The para-surfers were out in force enjoying the conditions and their maneuvers were incredible to watch. On our way back to the apartment we shopped at the IGA as Tracey had volunteered to make chow mien for dinner. We had looked at the menu of the pub across the street while we were out and noted that a steak was listed at $40.00. With a home cooked meal, the four of us ate for around the same amount!

Don’t mention the cards! After an appalling run at cards Tracey almost won a game of Blobs but was pipped at the post by Steve who went on to win the second game too. Definitely his night tonight.



Steps: 14,888 (9.81kms)


Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement



Tot: 0.049s; Tpl: 0.02s; cc: 12; qc: 24; dbt: 0.02s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb