Life on a cattle station


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia
November 18th 2006
Published: November 23rd 2006
Edit Blog Post

After breakfast we leave for the Alice Springs Desert Park. It's hot so we start in the earlier morning. Birds and floral and fauna of area in the Park are quite pleasant. Martin does a good job giving us a running commentary all along. Lunch is served for us at the Park. In the afternoon we hear a lecture on Aboriginal Art in Central Australia. We do laundry and rest in the free time this afternoon. Then we depart for the Ooraminna Bush Camp on Deep Well Station (Cattle Ranch). We hear about life on a cattle station. The Station is around 450,000 acres in size. We have station roast dinner prepared by the Hayes family ( the owners of the station). We had been welcomed by Mimosas and chicken skewers and them some cinnamon and raisin brown bread. Everyone visited like an outside cocktail party and it was fun. After dinner we had a guided tour of the southern night sky by astronomer Andrew Fitzgerald. He had a "light saber" that allowed him to point out stars and constellations in the night sky. We could not see the Southern Cross because it is too low in the night sky to be seen. We would have to get up a 4 in the morning to be able to see it. A fun evening.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Ooraminna Bush CampOoraminna Bush Camp
Ooraminna Bush Camp

The country looks like this on Deep Well Station (Australian cattle Ranch)
We were welcomedWe were welcomed
We were welcomed

mimosas and chicken skewers got us all in the party mood
everyone assumed "cocktail behavior"everyone assumed "cocktail behavior"
everyone assumed "cocktail behavior"

warm brown bread with cinnamon and raisens was enjoyed by all
The Hayes FamilyThe Hayes Family
The Hayes Family

We were served a "station roast" beef dinner and it was delicious
Life on a cattle stationLife on a cattle station
Life on a cattle station

We learned about the management of the cattle station


Tot: 0.075s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 7; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0512s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb