Top 5 Hiking Trails to Discover in Australia


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia
May 10th 2018
Published: May 10th 2018
Edit Blog Post

The best way to explore Australia is to immerse yourself into its beautiful nature. Many hiking trails throughout the continent give you the opportunity to discover beautiful landscapes you will remember all your life. And you can choose to hike through so many various sceneries, from the rainforests of Queensland, mountains of New South Wales and Tasmania, cliffs of Victoria, to the deserts of Northern Territory and Western Australia.




We bring you some beautiful hiking trails you might take into consideration.

Twelve Apostles Lodge Walk, Victoria




This beautiful hike trail is part of the longer Great Ocean Walk on the south Victoria shore. It is easily accessible as it follows the famous Great Ocean Road and reveals some of the most beautiful sceneries in Australia. On your way through the rainforests, cliff tops and beaches you can encounter koalas, black wallabies, kangaroos, short-beaked echidnas, muttonbirds, and even little penguins. While hiking on the cliff tops you will be able to see waves crashing onto the eight of the original twelve stunning limestone stacks called the Twelve Apostles. And don’t miss the opportunity to climb down to enjoy on some of many secluded beaches.

Cradle Mountain

Huts Walk, Tasmania


You can choose a more difficult six-day track, or easier four-day trak to hike through one of the most beautiful World Heritage Areas in Australia. Hiking trails go through the Cradle Mountain-Lake St Clair National Park where you will experience some fascinating flora and fauna. You will walk through the primeval rainforest, and grass plains and meadows that were once covered with glaciers. You will encounter stunning sceneries like beautiful waterfalls and rocky mountain peaks. And you may get some company on your way as the trail is often visited by wombats, possums and Tasmanian devils, too.

Larapinta Trail, Northern Territory




This 223 kilometers long trail is situated in the heart of Australia. It is recommendable to come here during the cooler months, somewhere between April and September. It is not an easy trail because it goes through multiple gorges and high mountains, but it is worth it because you will see some of the most impressive sceneries in Australia. It is divided in 12 sections, so you can organize your trip any way you want to. Just make sure to bring some quality camping and outdoor gear, so you can enjoy watching a starry night from your tent in some of the many campsites that follow the trail.

Fraser Island Great Walk, Queensland




This Queensland’s jewel situated 245 kilometers north from Brisbane is the largest sand island in the world. You will experience so many beautiful sceneries just by walking through this easy 84 kilometers long trail, from freshwater streams that flow to the ocean, beautiful sandy beaches and stunning cliffs, to the many perched lakes well hidden in the rainforest. You will also encounter many families of dingoes, 79 species of reptiles, and 354 different species of birds.

Australian Alps Walking Track, Victoria/New South Wales/ACT




This trail is a real challenge for any passionate hiker. Spreading 665 kilometers from Walhalla, Victoria, to Tharwa, ACT, it goes through several national parks, like Kosciuszko National Park and Alpine National Park. It takes around five to seven weeks to pass the entire trail. Among the beautiful spots you can see from this trail is Mount Kosciuszko (2228 meters), the highest point of the continent. It is important to emphasize that the trail traverses any inhabited areas, so it is recommendable only for experienced hikers.



Australia is a beautiful continent, full of contrasts and diversities. If you are looking for a life changing experience, something that will make you feel alive, take some of these hiking trails. Embrace a new experience and you will not regret.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.46s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0916s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb