Ultimate Escapes: The Great Ocean Road


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia
February 5th 2018
Published: February 5th 2018
Edit Blog Post

Going on a road trip takes a lot of preparation – you and your car need to be fully equipped, checked and prepped, especially when taking on a beast such as the Great Ocean Road. Making sure that you have all the necessary equipment, clothes and supplies, and keeping all the vehicle parts in check are all essential for an excursion of this magnitude.

In order to fully experience the Great Ocean Road, you can’t just drive it; you’ll have to trek it, ride it and taste it! Here are some preparation tips to get you going (literally).

Destinations


Otway Harvest Trail




This destination is simply brimming with awesome local produce, from fresh blueberries and raspberries to award-winning lamb and beef! Be sure to get a taste of raspberry gin after you’re done driving for the day.

Great Ocean Walk




Although the Great Ocean Road is widely renowned as a breathtaking drive, it is just as impressive on foot. The Great Ocean Walk trail passes by everything from sandy beaches to river flats, and features a huge tourist attraction, the iconic Twelve Apostles.

The shores




There are many activities to engage in here, along the Great Ocean Road shoreline – everything from surfing to romantic horse-riding.

Equipment


Smartphone




If you want to go old-school, there’s nothing stopping you, but smartphones have made road trips safer and easier, plus they allow you to focus on the fun parts of the trip. Make sure that you’ve brought along a power bank; smartphones aren’t famous for long-lasting battery life.

Map




Even if you have the longest-lasting smartphone battery, having an actual physical map is simply invaluable! Sometimes literal lifesavers, maps are a must-have on any road trip.

Spare parts




Spare tires, oil, fuses and the like can make your life much easier on the road, especially on the Great Ocean Road.

Checks


Fluids




You’re going to have to think way past gasoline when it comes to fluids. Engine oil, coolant, brake fluid, transmission fluid, power steering fluid and windshield washer fluid aren’t easy to come by on the Great Ocean Road, so you’ll have to think in advance.

General checkup




Hiring a 4-wheel-drive and discovering thousands of kilometers of off-road tracks is a real adventure, but be sure to carry plenty of water and don’t rely on your mobile phone - it won’t work! To make your journey as hassle-free as possible, make sure to have your vehicle properly serviced from top to bottom. Regardless of your destination, it’s important to ensure you get there in one piece. Remember you’ll be away from your regular mechanic and could be traveling in a more remote area, and you want to ensure a smooth ride. General checkups are no-brainers when taking on a minor road trip, let alone when driving around remote locations such as the Great Ocean Road.

Tires




Making sure that your tires are well-maintained and under the appropriate amount of pressure can literally save your life! Refer to the number on each tire’s side, or have a professional take care of this.

Brakes




If you ever hear squealing while braking, it is absolutely vital that you take your car for a checkup. When visiting locations such as the Great Ocean Road, anything short of an obligatory expert checkup is unacceptable.



The Great Ocean Road is definitely an awesome place to get completely lost in. In addition to being a brilliant driving experience, it offers a variety of relaxing and fun activities. A trip this long, however, requires proper preparation in terms of equipment and car checks. Don’t forget your smartphone, a map and all the spare parts, and take your car for a general checkup, focusing on fluids, tires and brakes.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.386s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0697s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb