Red Cone Creek and Montgomery Reef


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia
May 1st 2015
Published: June 22nd 2017
Edit Blog Post

DawnDawnDawn

In a little creek (remember we're on central time, the WA time of this pic was 6am).
Geo: -15.9453, 124.225

On impulse I joined the early morning wildlife excursion. We saw a few birds (one a rare Mangrove Robin - a megatick in bird-watching terms, and there are several enthusiasts on board), and the dawn scenery was pretty.

We waited for the tide and then went up Red Cone Creek to Ruby Falls. Some of us climbed the 30m escarpment and went swimming in the waterhole above the falls. Very nice and the water temperature was very refreshing.

In the afternoon we ventured out to Montgomery Reef to watch the reef revealed as the tide went out. 340 sq km of reef that alternates twice a day between being 3-5m under the water and 3-5m above the water, depending on the tides. It was quite a spectacle watching the runoff from the reef when it was above water.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Ruby Falls on Red Cone CreekRuby Falls on Red Cone Creek
Ruby Falls on Red Cone Creek

Another picturesque stepped waterfall that required a bit of a climb to get to the top; see the rope?
Red Cone CreekRed Cone Creek
Red Cone Creek

Typical scenery looking back along the gorge.
Green Turtle on Montgomery ReefGreen Turtle on Montgomery Reef
Green Turtle on Montgomery Reef

Stranded as the water level started to drop – not an uncommon occurrence, apparently. The crew normally help these to deep water (as they did today) but are not sure if the turtle really needs the help. Perhaps it drags itself off (although it did appear exhausted), or maybe it just waits until the water rises again?
Montgomery ReefMontgomery Reef
Montgomery Reef

As the tide starts to recede the water cascades off the emerging reef in one great sheet.
Montgomery ReefMontgomery Reef
Montgomery Reef

Later, the water is more concentrated into lower areas and forms a myriad of cascades down the reef face. Even when the tide turns and until the sea reaches the top of the reef again, the water continues to drain away. It's a dramatic sight and one not to be missed.


Tot: 0.047s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0257s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb