Middle Lagoon to Derby


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia
May 15th 2016
Published: May 20th 2016
Edit Blog Post

Middle Lagoon to Derby
An early getaway because of the rough road back to Broome's main highway.
Peter reducing the tyre pressure to 27.5 pounds in the rear and 22 pounds in the front, to help us over the corrugations.
The drive way into Middle Lagoon a little dryer and we seem to manage the corrugations better than on the way up the Cape.
Back on the sealed road
just past Beagle Bay we blew up the tyres again and got back on the Main Derby Broome Highway.
We made our lunch stop at Roebuck Plains Road House and ate the biggest and best sausage rolls in Australia for lunch. Three Sausage Rolls between the 6 of us and we couldn't finish them.
Back on the road the travel was easy. Passing new vegetation and the famous Kimberly Boabs, which I love.
The road travels over many flood ways and wide creeks/
Rivers.
Just out of Derby we pass by the insertion of the Gibb River Road, which gets us excited for tomorrow's adventure.

7km out of Town we visited the old Boab Prison Tree, where young male aboriginals were held prisoner on the stop over to Derby. The White Settlers believed that by taking the young male aboriginals from their tribes it would reduce the trouble the aboriginals might 'course' and pastoralists and other settlers used them as workers or pearlers
Arriving in Derby it is deceptive how large the town is.
Derby is situated on King Sound, 220kms north east of Broome. Derby was the first town settled in the Kimberly.
It has the highest tidal variation in Australia, reaching up to 11 metres. The port area is surrounded by outlying mangroves.
There is still a large population of aboriginals. The Wandijna culture beliefs are shared by 3 groups who live in the Kimberly and this contributes to the artworks in the gallery's. Derby is synonymous with the Boab tree and the aboriginal people decorate their seed pods.
We arrived at the information centre at 2.30pm, just to discover it closed.
We make our way to the Kimberly Entrance Caravan Park for the night.
A busy caravan park with very modern facilities. Nice.
At the camp we catch up with fellow campers from Middle Lagoon which is great.
After set up, we all drive to
The jetty where live export of animals is evident an we leave Peter, Ally and Tom there whilst Billy, Kate and myself do the grocery shopping and clothes washing.
Dinner a chicken green curry and rice already cooked in the Dream Pot, I collect the fisher-persons from the Jetty, they have caught 3 cat fish, apparently nice to eat but sick of eating fish they are lour back in the sea.
Home Dinner and showered, minor pack up and ready for the Kimberly's, Gibb River Road.



Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.243s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 14; qc: 72; dbt: 0.0798s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb