Broome


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia
May 10th 2016
Published: May 15th 2016
Edit Blog Post


Broome
Our experience in Broome consisted of shopping, Beach and Pool
Broome is our gateway to the Kimberly's and one of the worlds last great wilderness regions. It remains largely untouched and unchanged by man.
Home to indigenous people for at least 30 thousand years until 1688 when William Dampier recorded the first visit.
In the 1850's the land was settled by sheep farmers until the golden age of pearling in the late 1800's, when Broome supplied 80% of the worlds Peals and 400 Pearling Luggers (boats) lined the shores. A population exceeding 4000 it was Australia's most Cosmopolitan town.
Japanese divers were recruited until in WW2 when they bombed Broome and destroyed aircraft and boats.
In the 1950's the first cultured pearl farm was established and in the 1980's Broome became 'The Tourist Destination' it is still today.
Our Day in Broome commenced with the exploration of dinosaur foot prints at Gantheatume Point.
Only to be found when the tide is out. We enjoyed climbing over the shore rocks, but were unable to find the dinosaur prints.
Next it was off to the Port of Broome, visitors not able to access the Jetty however we still managed a look.
Then we travelled to China Town and had morning tea in the Shades Cafe down Johnny Chi Lane.
Here Tom and Peter left us and went to the larger shopping centre for essential items, whilst Billy and the girls walked the streets viewing Pearl shops and Art Galleries. Ally, Kate and Billy allowed to wear $7000 of pearls in one shop.
A few souvenirs later and we were all back together.
A quick trip to the information booth a discussion and phone call, regarding the camel ride on Cable Beach that it was booked out.
Back to the Van for Lunch
A gifted purchase of a Pearl necklace, at the Willie Creek Gallery and an afternoon at the beach. I visited the supermarket.
Home to the van, dinner, another dip in the pool, showers and bed.
A full day in Broome done.



Additional photos below
Photos: 23, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.124s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 14; qc: 58; dbt: 0.0799s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb