Hamelin Pool - Steep Point


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia
April 25th 2016
Published: April 28th 2016
Edit Blog Post

Hamelin Pool is known for it's Stromatolites.
Stromatolites are rock in appearance, however they contain small microbial life forms called Sino-bacteria. These living organisms emit oxygen through photosynethesis of sun light. During the day they collect small particles around their base and at night secrete calcium carbonate to bind the particles together. Each rock formation grows 1/2 a millimetre a year. Stromatolites have very few predators as they survive in hyper saline water. They are responsible for the first oxygen dependent land creatures.

Fulfilling another of Peters bucket list items we drove to Steep Point, 'the western most point of mainland Australia.' And one of the world's best land based game fishing locations. The point is not only a natural wonder but it was the ultimate scenic destination. Fantastic views of Dirk Hartlog Island and the large thunderous waves could be seen and heard across the point.
The drive a challenge, bad corrugations, sand dunes, limestone rocks and wild goats, kangaroos, emu and rabbits on the road to look out for.
A couple of adjustments of tyre pressures and putting the car in four wheel drive mode and four hours later and finally the lunch stop at the Steep Point. Very Scenic and a great achievement. Photos and signatures in the visitors book we headed back only to stop for a swim in the pristine turquoise water and white soft sands. Alexandra stated 'it was like walking on pillows'
We were unable to do a lot of beach driving due to the end of turtle nesting season.
I found a beautiful clam shell which was almost as big as a football and empty.
We saw some large flathead and shark, but unfortunately they were in the Marine Bay Precinct.
By the time we returned we had had a long hard day being bumped around in the car all day.
BBQ dinner and bed.



Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Sand DuneSand Dune
Sand Dune

Kate 'it's safer out of the car'
Steep point beachesSteep point beaches
Steep point beaches

Alexandra 'sand as soft as pillows'


Tot: 0.05s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0308s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb