Exploring Albany


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia
April 15th 2016
Published: April 15th 2016
Edit Blog Post

Today we exploed Albany.
A city that is surrounded by amazing natural wonders and the Australian History of the Anzacs.
Our first stop was in the town centre to sort out a few bills and get another SD card for the camera. We visited the information centre and took a walk through Anzac Peace Park on the foreshore.
We then drove out of town a approximately 8km kilometres to Torndirrup National Park and viewed The Gap and Natural Bridge.
A spectacular stainless steel platform takes you 4 metres over the cliff edge so you can get a better view of the water crashing against the rocks and cliff face below. The 6.1 million dollar development has only just been opened and is free entry until May 1st.
Natural Bridge a geological wonder where the pounding of the water on the rocks has created a beige structure to view
Lunch of fish and chips and onto explore Albany Heritage Park.
First visiting the War memorial on the top of Mt Clarence, taking in the magnificent 360 degree views and the light horse monument. We then drive a short distance to Mt Adelaide to the visit the National Anzac Centre.
A task was put before each of us to follow one solider and his involvement in World War 1, to get a personal connection with the Anzac experience. The multimedia interpretive centre over looks King George Sound where on November 1st 1914 the first convoy of Australian and New Zealand troops departed for the First World War. 41,265 in total, many never to see Australia again.
The interactive use of card, interpreter pen device and unobtrusive technology with real artefacts made it a great learning experience.. Tom believes he learnt more today than he would have at school . Well worth our $73 dollar entry.
I set a task for all of our children to present their soldiers profile to the rest of the family before ANZAC Day.
With a walk through the souvenir shop and up higher on the hill, we checked out the large artillery guns and ships docking positions as they would have sat King George Sound in 1914.
The weather closing in with rain.
Too cold for a swim at the beach, the heated pool the evening afternoon activity..




Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.049s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.029s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb