Days 81 to 84 - Cape Leveque


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia
June 19th 2015
Published: June 30th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Our camp site at KooljamanOur camp site at KooljamanOur camp site at Kooljaman

The water looks close but it is a 5 minute walk down on to the beach (the sunset beach).
We had heard a lot about Cape Leveque and so it was on our list of places to visit. We had also heard that the road to Cape Leveque was also very poor, but hey, we had just finished the Gibb so we weren't scared. Approximately 200 kilometres from Broome but half of it is sealed so it would be easy.

So we thought. We should have listened to the mechanic who said it was a car killer. This is a very tough road with very bad corrugations and lots of potholes too.

We had a lovely cooked breakfast at the Town Cafe next door and packed the cruiser.

The Road to Cape Leveque is about 20 kilometres from Broome and then there is blacktop for another 20 or so kilometres. Then the sandy section starts and gets progressively worse until you return to the blacktop about 80 kilometres from the top end of the Cape. We had originally booked to stay a night in Middle Lagoon, about halfway up the Cape, but when we got to the Middle Lagoon turnoff there was a leaking and loose exhaust and we decided not to drive the 30 kilometres down Middle Lagoon Road but to push on to Kooljaman (at the top end of the Cape).

Kooljaman has an airport, and a restaurant which feeds campers and those that stay in the eco-tents. The resort is usually heavily booked and we were lucky to get in one night earlier than our plan. Kooljaman is the stopping off point for the buses that take tourists from Broome to Horizontal Waterfalls (they have breakfast at Kooljaman and get a seaplane from Cygnet Bay just up the road).

We camped on top of the cliffs and, from there, had an uninterrupted view of the beach below (including sunsets). We rested, walked, swam, had coffees and ate in the restaurant and did nothing much for three days!

A young couple, Clint and Sarah, camping next door had a little tinny and had a successful days fishing. We were given some spanish mackerel and we had BBQ'd fish at the camp kitchen one night. It was scrumptious and tasted really great with the herbs that Georgi borrowed from the kitchen garden at the Kooljaman restaurant!

Generally, we would walk down to the beach and take sunset photos, then come "home" and
Sunset at  Cape LevequeSunset at  Cape LevequeSunset at Cape Leveque

The rocks of the cliff at the top of the beach
have dinner or walk to the restaurant and then we would return "home" and lay back our camp chairs and gaze at the stars until we decided it was time for bed. It's a good life at Cape Leveque. There's a lot to be said for the simple pleasures of beachside living. More please.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Sunset at  Cape LevequeSunset at  Cape Leveque
Sunset at Cape Leveque

A man fishing down at the waters edge.
Sunset at  Cape LevequeSunset at  Cape Leveque
Sunset at Cape Leveque

This photo is straight out of the camera! No filter. No altered settings! It's just stunning orange!


Tot: 0.099s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0788s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb