The Bungle Bungles


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia
September 14th 2014
Published: September 14th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Olivia, Jack and LukeOlivia, Jack and LukeOlivia, Jack and Luke

The Bungle Bungles
We rested in Kununurru for four nights and then made our way down to The Bungle Bungles. The road into The Bungles was absolutely horrendous and I would say hands down the worst corregations we have experienced this whole trip. It took us two hours of driving over bumpy, rocky, winding road just to get into The Bungle Bungles national Park. We are all feeling very over bloody corregations! We had planned to stay three nights at The Bungles before heading down to the Wolfe Creek meteor crater national Park.

Day one we went for a walk through the Bungles that was 5.2 klm long. It was hot! So hot! So very very hot! We started the walk at 8am because we expected it to be hot but omg it was just sooo hot. Mum and Dad headed back to the car park early because of the heat and we cut the walk short by 500 metres because the kids and us were struggling with the heat as well.

The Bungle Bungles are gorgeous. The rock formations are amazing but I must admit I will forever remember how horribly hot it was. After the walk we were back at camp by 11am and it didn't get any better. It was so hot that you couldn't do anything, or at least didn't want to do anything! Haha gav got out the electric shower in the afternoon and we all had a cold shower outside it was so hot.

We decided then and there that we would leave the next morning and not complete the other walks. It was just too hot. I was worried about mum and dad in the heat and the kids also didn't cope too well with walking in the heat.

Day two we endured the horrible drive back out of the Bungle Bungles National Park back to the main road. At the end of the drive out we all agreed that if we never saw another corregations for as long as we live it will be too soon!!!!

We continued on to Halls Creek heading towards Wolfe Creek. When we pulled into Halls Creek Dad mentioned that he was concerned about his car, it appeared to be "skipping a beat" when he was driving and they struggled to maintain speed on the way in. He took it to a local mechanic to see
Mum and DadMum and DadMum and Dad

The walk was very, very hot!
if they could have a look at it but no one was available until Minday (it was Friday). Dad was very reluctant to continue on to Wolfe Creek when he felt the car wasn't working right and I think he was hesitant about heading down The Tanami Track and MORE corregations. Dad was definitely not prepared to tackle The Canning Stock Route. He didn't want to face the physical demands of sand driving, he was broken, we were broken, we were down to only one spare tyre and we all agreed that we simply were not proper equips to tackle the Canning this time. So The Canning Stock Route is unfinished business for us and we will definitely be back to complete it! We had a group discussion and made the decision that Mum and Dad would remain in Halls Creek until Monday and then go home back through Kununurru and via the black road and Gav, myself and the kids would continue on to Wolfe Creek and home via the Tanami Track and The Plenty Highway. It was really sad parting this early in the trip and there were lots of tears from everyone as we said goodbye.

We headed down The Tanami track towards Wolfe Creek and arrived there after approx two hours of driving over MORE corregations. Haha found a great camp spot right at the base of the crater sight and then walked up to the top of the crater for a look. I suppose you could be forgiven for saying it is nothing more than a hole in the ground. But still it is an interesting point of interest. This is the site where a meteorite slammed into earth approx 30 000 years ago. The crater is 800metres wide and 20 metres deep. The sign said that it would have been 120 metres deep originally but blowing sand over time has filled the hole in.

The next day Gav and I continued down the Tanami, we found another great free camp spot and enjoyed a spectacular star display. I saw three falling stars in one night, the most yet! I hope all those wishes come true! Haha

We were happy with how we were travelling and were expecting to be home by Tuesday. Sylvia has been keen for us to hurry up and get home. She is feeling a little lonely. 😞 we were approx 160klms outside of Alice Springs and had reached the black road when we had the worst accident of this trip. The entire wheel had fallen off the trailer, rim and all! We looked for it in the bush but couldn't find it and we even had to put out a small grass fire that it had started! For a while I didn't think I would get that fire out but thankfully I managed to stamp it out and use a little water out of drink bottles.

We didn't have much choice other than to leave the trailer where it was and go on into Alice Springs without it and organise for it to be recovered. We took as many valuables as we could off the trailer and off we went to Alice Springs. So we are currently in a cabin in the big 4 caravan park at Alice Springs waiting to see what happens with the trailer.

When we checked in with Mum and Dad, they told us that they to have had trailer issues. They chose to drive back to Kununurru to get repairs to their car sooner and blew a wheel bearing in their trailer. So they are stuck there waiting for repairs to their trailer as well!!

Ohh well, guess we won't be home by Tuesday! Haha will keep you posted............


Additional photos below
Photos: 24, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

Olivia, Jack and LukeOlivia, Jack and Luke
Olivia, Jack and Luke

Seeking shade in a small cave.
OliviaOlivia
Olivia

Cathedral Gorge was certainly a highlight. Nice and cool!
Jacks birthdayJacks birthday
Jacks birthday

We celebrated Jacks 9th birthday while at The Bungle Bungles.


14th September 2014

:(
I was looking forward to having you home on the weekend!! :( Oh well looks like I get to use the Colorado for a week hahaha! .. No seriously though I got chills when I saw your picture at Wolfe Creek. Have you seen the movie? Thats where it happened!!!!!!!!!! Ahhh can't believe you went there so freaky!
14th September 2014

OMG
Hi Jude I am so sorry that your trailer broke down. I do hope it won't be long before you are on the move again. Do you think it happened because of the corregations. It sounds quite traumatic but then I guess you have been through so much and are just taking it in your stride. What an adventure you are having. How wonderful for the kids to enjoy so many wonderful experiences. Are you meeting up with Marie and Craig again on this trip? Keep up the commentary. It is amazing. Love Christine xx

Tot: 0.065s; Tpl: 0.02s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0366s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb