Visit to Perth and Perth Mint


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia
October 15th 2013
Published: October 15th 2013
Edit Blog Post

First job of the morning was to book a chalet in Busseleton so that we can spend three days in the Margaret River area. Quickly sorted at $100 per night.

Today we caught the bus from Attadale to Perth - a 20 minute journey. On arriving in the Busport we walked down George Terrace to Hill Street where we visited the Perth Mint. $10 bought us tickets to see a 200 ounce ingot poured. We then visited the Mint shop where there were coin, jewellery and gold nuggets on display. All we bought was a book - Atlas of Gold in Western Australia. Massively expensive but could contain some useful hints.

Lunch was at The Boheme on the cornet of William and Murray Streets. After lunch we tried to visit the Art Gallery where there is an exhibition of Van Gough and Salavdor Dali but the gallery is closed Tuesdays so we visited the Western Australian Museum next door. The exhibitions are very chaotic, poorly signed and look like a relic of the late 1900's. However, once one got used to the fact that the curatorial standards were primitive and dated, the contents were actually very interesting. They covered the European immigration to WA and subsequent development, the geology and natural history of WA and a very depressing account of the historical and continuing injustices imposed upon the Aboriginal people.

By late afternoon it was time to catch the bus home where Ian had slow-barbecued a really wonderful


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement



Tot: 0.048s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 9; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0249s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb