25-08-13 to 30-08-13 Yardie Creek CP to Cape Range NP


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia
August 30th 2013
Published: September 2nd 2013
Edit Blog Post

DSC00446DSC00446DSC00446

a Tusk Fish, or Parrot Fish, he doesn't really care what you call him
Cape Range NP

Well where do I start, we arrived for our first night in Cape Range at the Tulki Campground and on arrival we went straight to the Camp Host and let them know we would really like to spend another two nights at Cape Range, and if possible we would like to be transferred to Mesa campground, this is where the Woods family were staying and it is a lovely little campground. We would not know until at least 7.30 in the morning if our request would be granted, but luck was on our side because the Tulki campground hosts were first on the radio in the morning to check other campgrounds for vacancies.

Anyway, while we were at Tulki, we would take advantage of the being beside the sea and go for a nice walk. The fish and other marine species you can see in the water just walking along the beach is great, we spotted a number of sting rays along with a variety of fish. This afternoon when the weather is a bit warmer, we would go for another snorkel at Lakeside.

Early next morning we received the good news, we were able
DSC00469DSC00469DSC00469

snorkeling Cape Range
to relocate to Mesa campground, our intention is to stay for 2 nights. This somehow blew out to 4 with the number of activities to do there was no way we would fit it all into 2 days.

Each day whilst we were at Cape Range we would do some snorkeling and we were never disappointed, didn’t matter where we went.

On the 28/08 we, along with the Scheffer and Harvey families were booked in to do a Whale Shark Tour. With no guarantee we would actually spot one of these majestic animals because it is late in the season, we took the risk anyway.

Our day started at 8.00am where we had to meet at the boat ramp. Before we had even set foot on the boat we were treated to some octopus in the shallows doing the wild thing, that is a little intriguing to watch, eight legs each and all! Then onto the boat and out beyond the reef in search of a Whale Shark. Not far over the reef and it was time to get the gear on and get in the water, whilst we were in the water, we experienced a mother
DSC00600DSC00600DSC00600

If I hide under the coral, you won't be able to see me
hump back whale and her calf swimming right under us. I actually came eye to eye with her calf, this would be one of the most amazing things I have ever experienced in my life. The whole group were literally speechless, what a magnificent animal.

Back on to the boat, and the spotter plane is out looking for a Whale Shark for us to swim with. Wasn’t long and we got the word, it’s time to get a briefing on how we are to behave when swimming with this huge animal and get the snorkel gear on and get ready to jump of the boat. WOW, this animal is HUGE, and so majestic, not really caring about our presence, just going about his business. We were only aloud in for 5-10 minutes at a time, but that was ok.

After we had finished swimming with the Whale Shark, the spotter plane had spotted some Manter Rays, so it was time to get going again and get ready to swim with these huge rays. Straight in the water, and as soon as I put my face in the water, 1, 2, 3 and then 4 of these great big
DSC00588DSC00588DSC00588

snorkeling Cape Range
animals swam underneath us, they are so quick, but we managed to get a good look at them.

What a day, we were high on adrenalin by the time we got off the boat and back on land. Could anything beat this day, we will have to wait and see.

The snorkeling at Oyster Stacks was really good, except a little bit tricky getting in and out amongst the rocks, Turquoise Bay was also good, but a very strong current you had to be very careful of, our favorite was Lakeside.

Cape Range NP is definitely a place I could revisit and spend more time at, we were too busy doing activities, we didn’t even get the fishing rods out!


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

DSC00594DSC00594
DSC00594

snorkeling Cape Range
DSC00582DSC00582
DSC00582

we found Nemo
DSC00573DSC00573
DSC00573

snorkeling Cape Range
DSC00562DSC00562
DSC00562

snorkeling Cape Range
DSC00554DSC00554
DSC00554

the gentle giant, this is the Whale Shark we swam with
DSC00499DSC00499
DSC00499

a couple of octopus having a bit of fun
IMG_2992IMG_2992
IMG_2992

us in the water with the Humpback Whale and her calf
IMG_5668IMG_5668
IMG_5668

getting ready for out next dive


Tot: 0.149s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 5; qc: 45; dbt: 0.1216s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb