19-08-13 to 21-08-13 Millstream NP to Karratha


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia
August 21st 2013
Published: September 2nd 2013
Edit Blog Post

IMG_3180IMG_3180IMG_3180

the gas flame that just seems to keep burning
19-08-13 to 21-08-13

Millstream NP to Karratha



We decided to stay two nights in Karratha, even though things seem to be expensive here, we weren’t sure how long it would take to get our tyre fixed, and we also thought it would be a good opportunity to do a day trip to Dampier (home of Red Dog), the North West Shelf Project, and Port Samson.



Once settled, we headed straight for Beaurepaires to get the tyre fixed, can’t complain about customer service here, fixed while we waited, $400 thank you very much!



20-08-13, Day trip Day



After getting the washing on the line, two attempts with one dodgy washing machine, we headed off on our day trip, first stop Dampier, this little town is located only 20kms from Karratha, and was established in the 1960’s by Pilbara Mining. Dampier has a very busy little Port providing loading facilities for Iron Ore, Salt and natural gas. The town itself is basically full of people who work in the mines surrounding Karratha.



The statue of Red Dog, that seems to take pride of place in a lot
IMG_3188IMG_3188IMG_3188

some of the North Shelf Gas Project
of glossy brochures on the area, for us, was a real let down, not even worthy of a photo for me anyway.



After Dampier, it was onto the North West Shelf Project, this really is worth a visit. This is Australia’s largest oil and gas resource development. The North West Shelf Project is a joint venture between six major international companies. It is one of the world’s largest liquefied natural gas producers, supplying oil and gas to Australian and international markets from huge offshore gas and condensate fields on the Carnarvon Basin.



When Peter asked a little more about the process, it takes 1 ½ days to fill a ship with natural gas, this gas is frozen to -161 degrees Celsius, so it shrinks and therefore more can be placed on the ship, when this one ship of gas gets to Japan, the gas is heated back to its natural state, and is equivalent to 600 ships of gas! That is truly amazing.



There is a constant flame of gas burning, this is due to work on the pipes or lines, and excess gas needs to be burnt off.



After this little bit of information overload, it’s time to head for Port Samson for some lunch, we found our way to the Tavern, both ordered a seafood basket, because that’s what you do when you are near the sea, my o my, we were so full after that, we didn’t even have tea.



Karratha as a town, didn’t really impress me a great deal, it’s expensive and the main shopping area seems so spread out, but it may soon be very different as there are some major works going on in the CBD.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.075s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 13; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0473s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb