The South West!


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia
April 18th 2005
Published: April 30th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Albany CoastAlbany CoastAlbany Coast

Hills meeting the sea at Albany
Phew! Back to civilisation! For those of you who know our itinerary may have noticed we have just arrived back from the North West. Well here is our blog from the south west as we didn’t get time to update in between. Oh.. such a busy, hard life we lead! Not!
Ok, well the south was great and (as we now know) very different from the north! The south west is not what springs to most people’s minds when they think of Australia. It’s very picturesque with rolling hills, dramatic costal cliffs, green, huge forests and mountain ranges. The weather held out for the most part but you may spot the odd cloudy photo.

We started off our trip from Perth and headed through Bunbury to Busselton. Busselton is a great little sea side town famous for its 2km jetty. At the end of the jetty there is a new underwater observatory which is like one of those aquariums except it’s the real thing!

Then we drove through Dunsborough to the Cape Naturaliste Lighthouse (see picy) and on to Margaret River through the hundreds of Wineries (hic up).
On the way further south to Augusta we stopped at Lake
The "VamperCan"The "VamperCan"The "VamperCan"

Our house on wheels, wow!
and Jewel Caves. Wow, I must have taken these for granted as a kid because they were out of this world!

Augusta was gorgeous as ever, so peaceful. Around Augusta we visited another light house and saw where the Indian and the Southern Oceans meet (Steph’s still looking for the big red line!)

After a bit of a relax, it was then a long drive to Pemberton in the heart of the Karri tree forests. The Karri trees are massive! I climbed the Gloucester Tree (yep dad just as dodgy as when you did it!!) and the Bicentennial Tree Lookouts. These were used as fire lookouts and are basically a 60 metre high tree with a platform bolted to the top! You are free to climb these trees (at your own risk hehe) which is done without steps or hand rails or anything except big pegs nailed into the tree (see pic from bottom and from top).
After spending the night amongst the trees we made our way down to Albany stopping at another high attraction, “The Valley of the Giants Tree Top Walk”. Steph wasn't scared of being 40m up, realy!

Albany was a big surprise
"Roos""Roos""Roos"

What more can I say, we're in Australia after all.
to us both, just not what we expected, far better! A beautiful town nestled in the hills which roll into the harbour. Almost reminded us of the lake district but with beaches and no rain!

Before leaving Albany we saw “the gap” and “the natural bridge” (see pic) and headed on back up to Perth through the Stirling Range National Park.



Additional photos below
Photos: 40, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Busselton JettyBusselton Jetty
Busselton Jetty

Nearly 2km long! Not long we thought, 'cause there's a train. But what a suprise, not today!
Busselton JettyBusselton Jetty
Busselton Jetty

Ooo pretty flags
Busselton Underwater ObservatoryBusselton Underwater Observatory
Busselton Underwater Observatory

Well worth the walk along the jetty.
Sunset at BusseltonSunset at Busselton
Sunset at Busselton

Everyday ends with a beautiful sunset on the west coast
Cape Naturaliste LighthouseCape Naturaliste Lighthouse
Cape Naturaliste Lighthouse

Bit of a stumpy one but it's got a big lens!
Eagle BayEagle Bay
Eagle Bay

Yet another perfect beach with no one there!
Margaret RiverMargaret River
Margaret River

The main street in Margaret River
Lake CaveLake Cave
Lake Cave

More stalactites and stalacmites than you can shake a torch at!
Lake CaveLake Cave
Lake Cave

The "floating table"! Look no legs!
Jewel CaveJewel Cave
Jewel Cave

The "Frozen Waterfall"
AugustaAugusta
Augusta

The main street in Augusta
Augusta JettysAugusta Jettys
Augusta Jettys

This is where I tried out my fist ever fishing rod as a ikle boy!
Cape Leeuwin LighthouseCape Leeuwin Lighthouse
Cape Leeuwin Lighthouse

Another Lighthouse not so stumpy this time!
Where the Southern and the Indian Oceans meet!Where the Southern and the Indian Oceans meet!
Where the Southern and the Indian Oceans meet!

Steph spent ages looking for a big red line under the sea!
On the road to PembertonOn the road to Pemberton
On the road to Pemberton

"We're on the Road to no where"


Tot: 0.075s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 56; dbt: 0.045s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb