Cape Leeuwin to Esperance


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia
March 20th 2007
Published: March 20th 2007
Edit Blog Post

We had travelled only a short distance onto the Brockman highway before the scenery changed dramatically to dense forest. Huge Karri trees rose majestically into the sky. The small scenic drives through the forest were great very few cars and people. The wildlife especially birds kept Tash on the lookout. Pemberton an old logging town was a beautiful stop the old railway line took us up close through the forest over old rickety bridges and dried out streams. The climb up the Gloucester tree was a nervous experience climbing 61 feet up into the treeline on glorified large screws was not a clever thing to do but fun nontheless (if a bit scary). Tash looked on from terra firma with camera in hand taking pics of me and a million Parrots. The whole south west section is just glorious national parkland forest in a prestine condition. The treetop walk in the valley of giants took tash and i up 40 feet into the Tingle trees on steel platforms that unfortunately for tash were see-through and a bit wobly in the wind. Tingle trees only grow in that part of the world and are a protected species. We then walked through the forest on ground level gawking at the huge trunks, some of which had been burnt out in the past or had grown a bit peculiar. The most fascinating tree was a huge old tree that had been burned almost to the ground but through the ashes the same tree had sprouted a new healthy branch that had started to tower into the sky.
The town of Denmark was very basic, the highlight of this section of the trip has to be swimming in Greens pool a naturally formed lagoon almost totally cut off from the ocean by breakers. The water looked as though somebody had filled it with tap water it was that crystal clear. The water was a fantastic temperature and perfect for swimming - furthermore a rock midway out provided a perfect platform for diving. The best place in the world we have swam - for sure.
Albany is a lovely town the main high street provided tash with a little shopping and a barrista coffee in the Black Duck boutique pantry. The war memorial on the hill in town is a good stop illustrating Anzac participation and loss. It also provides a great view of the bay and town of albany.
After leaving albany we braced ourselves for two days straight of driving to reach Esperance. It took us out of the lush forest parks into the dry arid bushland. Although fairly close to the coast very little has taken root here plant, animal or man. When we rattled into Esperance on an empty tank we were relieved to reach civilisation again. It also gave us a taster of whats to come when we cross the Nallabors later.
Esperance is a pleasant town with all the necessary parts for a good stay. We took a stroll on the seafront last night and were lucky enough to sea a sealion swimming by the pier waiting for the fishing scraps.
The campervan is proving to be a fantastic piece of kit and a lot more useful and comfortable than expected long may it last.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.085s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 40; dbt: 0.0491s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb