Perth to Cape Leeuwin


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia
March 15th 2007
Published: March 15th 2007
Edit Blog Post

We set out from Perth in high excitement and wondering what great sights and adventures we would go on over the next six weeks, when we should be arriving in Brisbane. We stopped in the supermarket and bought all the essentials and a few luxaries to make the journey that bit more enjoyable. The day was bright and sunny perfect, what a day to start.
We drove out of Perth and through the building site that is Mandurah. All we could see was land for sale and houses being built - in a few years time that will be a much larger town especially when the new railway link with perth opens. Our first stop was Myalup a very small coastal town we had a great hour or so by the beach watching a strange lizard walk around. Before we knew it we were on the road again passing the large town of Bunbury and into Busselton our night stop for that day. Busselton is so beautiful the old wooden jetty that stretches 2Km into the crystal waters of the bay.
Our camp for the first night was in a small authorised night stop but very basic. The best thing about this site was it was free! We set up camp and cooked our first meal of Gnocchi - yummy. We awoke in the morning to a fantastic sea breeze and a fantastic view of the bay.
We then travelled to Cape Naturaliste with its old lighthouse and fantastic scenery. In the afternoon a quick swim in Dunsborough bay. A massive sea eagle perched on a rock watched the whole proceedings with a keen vission. He was so sure of himself he wouldnt move even if you got almost within touching distance.
We spent that night in a huge farm very dry but huge, huge and huge. We took a walk in the morning through the fields the highlight being the redback nesting in the sheeps skull.
The next day took us through Margaret River one of Oz's prime wine areas - the vineyards lined the roadway - the most difficult thing was deciding which ones you wanted to visit and how many you wanted to visit. Evans and Tate was a great stop as we had been drinking there wine in Perth so it was nice to see where the grapes were harvested.
The town of Margaret river is very pleasant and the fudge factory very tasty.
The next day took us to Cape Leeuwin a spectacular coastal area - we enjoyed many hours there climbing over the rocks and exploring the area. The scenery we have seen so far is very much cultivated land and beautiful small coastal towns. We expect that to change in the next week or so.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.114s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0711s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb