On our way home


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia
June 4th 2023
Published: June 5th 2023
Edit Blog Post

Thong sculpture at EllistonThong sculpture at EllistonThong sculpture at Elliston

Can be seen on the normally cliff top art trail loop near Elliston. But of course, they are doing road works so we had to go back the same way we'd come!
Tuesday 30th May 2023

From Cleve we drove west for about 100kms to the town of Elliston, on the west coast of Eyre Peninsula. A quick drive around town gave us the impression of a small country town with holiday houses and fishermen the main industry. After a visit to the local bakery for a coffee and vanilla slice we returned to the car and van and noticed that a window of the van was missing. We realized that it hadn’t been closed properly when we lefty Cleve this morning and that it had been torn off its hinges. That put a damper on things a bit.

After getting some heavy duty builder’s plastic from the hardware store Rags closed the opening with the aid of half a roll of super strong tape he had bought just before we left home. It seemed to do the job ok, hopefully until we either get a replacement window in Ceduna or at home.

This took the shine off being in Elliston, but we did drive around the cliffs to see some of the sculptures mounted in various places, before setting off again, now northwards to firstly Port Kenny, then stopping
Murphy's HaystackMurphy's HaystackMurphy's Haystack

Amazing rock formation known as Murphy's Haystacks. We learnt these are inselberg rock formations a form of weathered granite outcrop.
at a free camp just before Streaky Bay.

Wednesday 31st May 2023

Streaky Bay has grown since we were last here but it is still a very pretty place. Unfortunately for us nothing except the service station was open, and there was no phone/wifi signal, so after refueling we set off to Ceduna.

The 100kms or so slipped by and we arrived. Ceduna has never held much attraction to us even though the oceanfront is most attractive. There was such a long wait for our takeaway coffees that Judy had time to go to the supermarket over the road and buy a cooked chicken for lunch. Our intention was to sit with our coffee while Judy finalised her marking but she flet rushed and suggested that if we moved on to Penong for the night she thought we would have signal and she could finish there. But guess what? No signal at lovely little Penong, so we decided to keep going after stopping there for lunch.

Our aim then was to make the clifftop before the border as we have too much fresh food. So this evening we spent the night again on the clifftops of the Bight as we always enjoy doing on these trips. We spent some time preparing our vegetables and cooking them so we could take them into WA with us. We only had about 140kms to go to the WA/SA border.

Thursday 1st June 2023

It was a big day today. Firstly that we were leaving SA and entering WA. This did not go as planned. We ensured that all our fruit was eaten for breakfast, all vegetables were cooked, and even smashed our two remaining avocados with lemon juice. The quarantine lady was very friendly, welcomed us home, was impressed by the way we presented our vegies etc then opened the freezer. Two bags of frozen prawns from Port Wakefield, in full view. New regulations have now also banned uncooked prawns due to possible White Spot. We hadn't seen this advertised anywhere. White spot disease is a highly contagious viral infection that affects crustaceans. The Quarantine Officer was very supportive however, and told us we could turn around, go back into SA, cook them, and then go into WA.

The caravan smelt strongly of garlic, chilli and prawn when we returned to show what we had done. She didn’t bother checking, just told us they smelt great and to have a good day.

The driving bug was in Rags and after driving “the longest straight road in Australia” where the Jeep’s odometer clicked over 100 000 kms, we stopped at a 24 hour stopover. about 40kms before Balladonia. 600+kms today. These stopovers are so much better than those in SA, with their toilets, dump points and rubbish bins. We ate some of the delicious prawns with our cooked veg. We are certainly eating well! The rest of the prawns were frozen for another day.

Friday 2nd June 2023

A quick breakfast and we were off by 0700 this morning, our bodies still on SA. time.

Morning tea was in Norsemen, 240kms further on, where we refueled and watched the bedlam of caravanners filling their vans with water having to use tokens bought from the information centre. This is fine, but it is only after lining up for some time to use the one tap that they find out about the tokens and have to go back to buy them. We left without getting any water although we were low.

Onwards to Coolgardie, the road a little better than it was and here at the old railway station to a vacant dump point, and free water. This was also a good place to stop for lunch. Sometimes the old places you know are the best.

Southern Cross was our aimed for destination for tonight but after travelling over 500kms today we called a halt at the Boorabbin Koorarawalyee a 24 hr stopover. This was a great overnight spot with plenty of space, much of it covered in blue metal so we could park the caravan where we weren't going to get muddy feet! When we arrived there was only one other caravan but withing half an hour there were another half a dozen arrivals! Dinner was easy tonight with the last of our cooked vegies and some stir fried pork..

Saturday 3rd June 2023

On the road by 0730, today was just a driving one. The only stop we had was at Merredin where we had a coffee and a pie each. Not the best but we wanted to get home.

We reached our objective by 1400 and spent the rest of the day unpacking . Good to be
Rags cooking up the prawnsRags cooking up the prawnsRags cooking up the prawns

Couldn't resist eating a couple. Morning tea!!??
home!


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.091s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0492s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb