Leliyn (Edith Falls) to Bungle Bungles


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia
August 4th 2019
Published: August 7th 2019
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


Leliyn (Edith Falls) to Bungle Bungles



Edith falls has been a beautiful place to rest, but we needed to start heading west from Katherine and ended up free camping at East Baines Rest Area for the night.
Early the following morning we crossed the Northern Territory/Western Australia border, and continued on to a little free camp at Dead Horse Springs right near Lake Argyle. While we didn't have access to the lake, we did visit the picnic area below the dam wall which was a beautiful spot. It is amazing just how big the lake is, and so incredible that diamonds are mined from this region, with plenty of freshwater crocodiles around.
Kununurra was our next stop, and we enjoyed two nights with friends Jenny and Shane. Once again we were spoilt with a roast dinner, and the following evening we headed to Packsaddle lookout for BBQ dinner and marshmallows. The girls have really enjoyed playing with Luca and Toby.
On our way to Home Valley Station for two nights, we walked in to Emma Gorge - a 3.2km return trip with a very refreshing swim at the Gorge.
To get to Home Valley Station we drove along the Gibb River Road which is known to be one of Australia's roughest roads. The pool, playground and bar were amazing and we managed to fit in a day trip to Zebedee Springs which were lovely and warm. We found El Questro Station has changed a lot over the past 9 years since we last visited (not for the better).
Getting to the end of the week we drove to Spring Creek Rest Area where we stayed for 2 nights, allowing us to do a day trip into Purnululu National Park to walk around the Bungle Bungles. Echidna Chasm was an easy 2km rocky walk through the river bed and tall red cliffs, while Cathedral Gorge (3km) was a nice rest from the hot sun in a more protected cove that had great acoustic echoes.
We passed Elephant Rock on our long drive back to camp, and enjoyed another campfire with neighbours and kids also travelling Australia.
We are so lucky!


Additional photos below
Photos: 24, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.349s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 8; qc: 59; dbt: 0.0711s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb