Esperance to Katanning


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia
July 15th 2019
Published: July 15th 2019
Edit Blog Post

14thJuly











The South Coast Highway takes us away from Esperance through a mixture of farmland and scrubby bush. Our thoughts were to go to Hopetoun on the coast but given it is a 100km detour, returning on the same road, we decide against that destination for our overnight stop.

















We head inland instead for a couple of days to take in the Western Australia’s SiloArtTrail. There are 6 or 7 locations to view some recent artworks. Ravensthorpe, 184km west of Esperance and on the South Coast Highway, is the first location. From there we turn off the highway toward Lake King and Newdegate, the second town on the Trail.

















We have pulled in to the Newdegate Recreation Reserve – it is not a listed free camping area but there are no signs to the contrary, so we will try our luck. Being fully self contained for all grey and black water means we will leave no imprint on the area.

















“Up” is a suffix sometimes found at the end of Western Australian town names. In aboriginal dialect it means different things depending on where you are, but often it is “the place of” …… for example Ongerup means place of kangaroo, Badgebup is the place of wild rushes and Kojonup is the place of stone axe.

















To most people however “up” means place of water and on that note: Kettlesup means it is cup of tea time.

































15th July

















Despite being extremely cosy in the van, overnight was a VERY cold one and upon venturing outside it took some doing to clear the ice off the windscreen. It wasn’t the best of nights for the gas bottle to run out, but run out it did which meant no hot water or heating first thing!

















The drive from Newdegate to Katanning was through vast agricultural land – massive areas of wheat, lupins, canola and grains as well as beef cattle and merino farms. Plenty of salt lakes too from Lake Grace down to Pingrup – the third town on the silo trail.

















We have seen stories of Katanning on a couple of television shows. It is a town of many nationalities, cultures and religions proving that despite our differences we can live in harmony. A large proportion of the people who have settled here are of Cocos Malay heritage coming from Christmas & the Cocos Islands.



The townspeople we have met so far have all been friendly and welcoming, although we do have to give a thumbs down and huge raspberry to the woman who has parked in the RV stop where we have set up.

















The RV park is very new; it is right in the middle of town, so access to everything the town has to offer is within walking distance. It is a large bitumen area comprising 6 large parking bays and comes with a dump point and potable water – everything the traveller needs. This idiotic woman has parked her flat tray ute literally in front of the DP and taps so that they are inaccessible to anyone who needs to use the facility. And then she left to go shopping, returning 2.5hrs later. Not only is it ignorant, but it is totally unnecessary as there are plenty of car parking spaces nearby. That type of behavior leaves a sour taste - she may not agree with travellers parking there but she should take that up with her Council rather than hinder the tourists.

















Katanning is on the SiloArtTrailbut so far we have not been able to find the display. I am currently in the local Library so I shall enquire further and hopefully when we go exploring tomorrow we may find them.


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement



Tot: 0.058s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0288s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb