Monkey Mia


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Shark Bay
May 15th 2006
Published: September 25th 2006
Edit Blog Post

After staying in Denham for the night….and not getting to go to the lovely fish restaurant Mike promised we got up horrendously early and went down to Monkey Mia to meet the dolphins…you are literally standing in the water with them beside you. We were really lucky and the dolphins were really close to us. We also saw huge pelicans which I was as excited about as the dolphins…they are just these huge stately birds. We then had scones with jam and cream with Niroko and Sam…how civilized of us.

After Monkey Mia we went to Shell Beach which as you might guess is comprised mainly of … shells. This would have been lovely to see apart from the forty million flies who had apparently made it their home. It is absolutely vile how many of those winged monsters are around….I swear I prefer spiders to flies. But we learned that Aussie’s wear those funny hats with the cork tops so that they can swing their head and the corks hit the flies away! Quite inventive when you think of it. And def if I was going to Central Australia it would be fully swathed in muslin for me!

We also dropped in on this new Ocean Park type thing that has just opened up. The man who owns it is absolutely passionate about sealife and has all sorts of fish like creatures, they are only setting up so it's not all glossy and well presented but he is so interesting and you learn so much from him just walking you around the place.
We also got to see his sharks which has instilled a healthy fear in me of them. I didn't get a good photo but we literally saw them jump their height out of the water to savage the dangling fish. The only good thing is they don't need to eat often.....
Mind you the guy said if he sees them while diving he gets out of the water as fast as he can....so it's not this "They won't attack unless provoked malarky", this dude is telling us he is scared when he sees them.


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement



Tot: 0.065s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0315s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1mb