Quokka Spotting


Advertisement
Published: November 6th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Question: What do you call a cross between a kangaroo and a rat?

Answer: A Quokka!

As you will know, Australia is home to some of the most dangerous and, frankly, wierdest animals around. The quokka is no exception...

After leaving Exmouth and taking a two day bus down to Perth, we met up with my friend Meredith (whom some of you will know from the wedding in Bali) and headed over to Rottnest Island. It got its name from one of the early explorers who thought it was infested with large rats, therefore "Rat's nest". We could see why. At sundown, everyone heads to the only pub on the island, the aptly named Quokka Arms, for a pint and some serious Quokka-spotting (these people are known as "quokka-spotters" - he he). You don't have to look far. At first they are kind of alarming as they really do look like huge rats from a distance, but up close they have quite cute faces and are very tame, begging at each table for scraps of left-over pizza and moving around in a half-hopping half-scurrying kind of way! As cute as they are, some of the locals (teenage boys perhaps?!) obviously have different feelings. One was found crammed into a mail box, and others have been used in games of "quokka soccer" - I'll leave the rest up to your imagination! Still, most people love them and they have starred in many a home video.

After Rottnest, we rented a car and headed south, stopping for wine tasting at the Margaret River and dolphin spotting at Bunbury, but none showed up! The highlights were the forest area though. After visiting the Redwoods and Sequoias in California, these things looked like saplings. However, there was one major difference - you could climb the trees here on little metal pins that circled around the tree trunk. It seemed sooo dangerous! Given my fear of heights, I chickened out, but Scott and Meredith did it, climbing each one to get great views over the surrounding countryside. The highest was over 70 metres! The shocking thing was that there was absolutely nothing stopping you from falling off, which would have meant certain death! Thankfully, they both made it down safe and sound!

We are now back in Margaret River to meet a friend from Perth for some more wine tasting and chocolate-factory-visiting before heading to Perth. We'll then catch our flight to Bangkok for two days of serious shopping before heading home!

It's been an amazing trip again, and I can't wait to start planning the next...just kidding!














Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Climbing the Tree (60 Metres High) Climbing the Tree (60 Metres High)
Climbing the Tree (60 Metres High)

My excuse for chickening out!


17th October 2007

From Andrea, Rome
Hey guys, this is Andrea from Rome. It has been a long time i havent talk to you, but i still have a good memories of the time we spent snorkelling on the west coast of Australia. Straight after Sharon's email, i've surfed on your blog....it's amazing how many places you've alredy been in this big world....but it's never enough 'cos there are still many others to discover! I wish you a Merry Xmas...and have a good trip back in Thailand! Ciaoooooooooooo Andrea
17th October 2007

congratulation!
Hey guys, this is Andrea from Rome. It has been a long time i havent talk to you, but i still have a good memories of the time we spent snorkelling on the west coast of Australia. Straight after Sharon's email, i've surfed on your blog....it's amazing how many places you've alredy been in this big world....but it's never enough 'cos there are still many others to discover! I wish you a Merry Xmas...and have a good trip back in Thailand! Ciaoooooooooooo Andrea

Tot: 0.05s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0243s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb