Rottnest Island and Fishing


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Rottnest Island
September 22nd 2007
Published: September 22nd 2007
Edit Blog Post

The latter half of August/ early September saw Damien acquiring work on a minesite on a fly in fly out roster (FIFO). I very quickly became a lady of leisure in Fremantle, familiarising myself with the shops and café strip and donating my time to charity! My flatmate Nicola is the Senior Environment Officer on Rottnest Island, 17km west of Perth.

I headed out to the island for two days to plant trees in two areas 1) after being burnt out after a flare from a boat which landed on the island during Australia Day celebrations last year, and 2) replanting an area cleared for pastoral land around 60 years ago.

I think I have made myself carbon neutral for this year at least!

The ‘Quokka’ is a native of the island. It is a half rat, half wallaby creature found all over the island. One job we had prior to tree planting was to clear the area of Quokka’s by going ‘Quokka stalking’. We had to hunt for the little beasties amongst the scrubbery, catch them by the tail and place them outside the enclosed area. Easier said than done. Surprisingly though we managed to clear around 5 in total, some with babies (which live in their pouches).

We have also had a couple of fishing excursions. One with Trevor, our friend from Bulong days who coincidently has come back to WA (beginning of 2007) to make some cash. Trev is a keen fisherman back in South Africa and taught us the art of fishing from the shore.

The three of us, along with kiwi Mike, Nicola’s bloke, paid for a days fishing off a charter boat. We headed out 1hr 45mins from Perth and hovered over a coral reef. Kiwi fisherman FYI - this is a different technique to home. We never anchored, but instead drifted over the reef, letting our lines down over the edge of the reef for a around 5-10 mins at a time, then reeling back in, shifting the boat, and letting the lines out again. There was no sitting around ‘chewing the fat’, as it is at home! I am pleased to say I reeled in the highest tally for the day!! Skill has everything to do with it!




















Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



Tot: 0.084s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 11; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0386s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb