Koalas, Kangaroos and Even Some Sharks


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Perth
August 1st 2006
Published: November 11th 2010
Edit Blog Post

KoalaKoalaKoala

A koala in Cahunu Koala Park
We also hired a car for a day and drove out to the Cahunu Koala Park and Nature Reserve. As well as seeing all the native Australian wildlife, Debra also got to satisfy a lifelong dream and hold on to a koala. As it was winter, it was very quiet there, so we got almost half an hour with the koala and Debra was very reluctant to let it go in the end. We all loved also loved feeding the kangaroos as well as seeing a baby wallaby, dingoes, emus and others. I'd already been there and done that (see The Second of The Three Grand Canyons).

After that we went to the Aquarium of Western Australia. Lots to see there, although the seals were conspicuous by their absence. The best bit was the shark tunnel. This was a glass, underwater tunnel that you can walk through whilst various fish, stingrays and, of course, sharks swam all around you.

Finally it was off to Scarborough Beach for a paddle. It was an insight into Australian life as all the surfers arrived, presumably after school or work, some using kites for propulsion, which were very impressive.

On the way back to the apartments in the
Koala and BabyKoala and BabyKoala and Baby

A koala with its baby in Cahunu Koala Park
car, we managed to get completely lost. Eventually we needed to head back to the skyscrapers in the Central Business District and work through the one-way systems from there.

There was a radio advertisement referring to the word premature in a not-for-the-children context and of course our son asked what it meant. The advert then went on to elaborate even further.

One criticism that I would make against Perth was the lack of places to eat out, or at least any that were possible to find. We had a self catering apartment, but in the absence of a decent supermarket in the vicinity we tried to eat out. There was, of course, Fast Eddies, but we couldn’t eat there every night (see Welcome Back to Australia). There was also McDonalds, which our son and daughter were happy to point out, but which we were determined to avoid.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

KangaroosKangaroos
Kangaroos

Kangaroos relaxing in the park
Shark TunnelShark Tunnel
Shark Tunnel

The shark tunnel in the Aquarium of Western Australia
FishFish
Fish

A rather colourful fish in the aquarium
Scarborough BeachScarborough Beach
Scarborough Beach

Kite surfers coming out to play after school or work


Tot: 0.102s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 9; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0649s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb