JOURNEY ENDED


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Perth
June 3rd 2010
Published: June 4th 2010
Edit Blog Post

After 75 days and 14612 driving kms later (add another 2692kms for the Sundlander making a total 17304 kms travelled) we have arrived home safely.

Our time on the Mornington Peninsula passed too quickly - it is a lovely place and one to be revisited. Phil caught up with a very old school friend and I a very old work colleague/friend. Finally managed to score a market at Mornington - they had eluded me the whole trip! Enjoyed the browsing. Phil got to have the world famous vanilla slice at Sorrento ( a whole $8!) - unfortunately for its reputation it was pipped at the post by a later one at Hahndorf.

21 May - on to Wheelers Hill and the Whittles and what I thought would be the highlight of the trip for Phil - sitting with some 88000 others at the MCG (thanks Greg for organising the tickets) - for me it was sharing a couple of bottles of bubbly (NZ) with a good friend and catching up with the years - plus trying to work out Greg's fantstic movie setup. Moved on to Queenscliffe to spend the weekend with the Whittles at their fantastic beach house.

Saturday night was definitely the highlight of the trip - The Blues Train! Late on Friday night Greg sent text msg to Carol advising that he had received a msg that there were 8 tickets available for the Train on Saturday night (some poor unfortunates were not able to make it!). Carol quickly scooped up the last four of these tickets. Last train of the year so full of Blue's lovers getting their fix. An absolutely amazing night - though much to much wine consumed..................hence, Phil spent the next day in bed while I was touristed around by G & C - what a lovely part of Australia!

Monday morning headed out on the Great Ocean Road - unfortunately I had somehow got my dates wrong when booking the ferry to Kangaroo Island so it was somewhat of a rushed trip - had planned to do it at a more leisurely pace but was only able to manage two overnights - Port Fairy and Victor Harbour.

Still - as rushed as it was the coast line scenery was amazing! If Phil ever disappears I know where to find him - Port Fairy ticked all the boxes for him (and a great number of mine - not sooo keen on the boat thing!).........will have to work out a way to revisit this place - maybe when there are bargain airfares to Adelaide/Melbourne we can head back and experience a longer stay.

Victor Harbour was stopover to catch ferry to Kangaroo Island. KI was disappointing wildlifewise - from all reports expected to see lots of wildlife but thought it should be called "one bandicoot island" in horour of the poor little creature we captured in our headlights on night one...........did see a few kangaroo and koalas the next day which saved the Island. Apart from the wildlife disappointment - KI was interesting and worth the visit. After settling in accom at American River we spend first afternoon after arrival doing a quick reccy of the north part of the island. Day two was spend on the rest of the island - saw seals and amazing orange rock formations...........purchased a great painting from Shep (Neil Sheppard) - Orange Birds - (yes - orange!) which we then had to carefully carry all the way home. Last morning was spent tracking down Lovering Olive Oil which we had become aware of when we googled the trip..............also purchased a number of bottles of wine produced by the Lovering family ---------there are a lot of Loverings on KI! Saw pelicans being fed; sheep being milked - purchased some lovely cheeses; honey being made.......unfortunately not able to purchase any honey products (blasted WA quarantine rules!) but did have some great honeycome icecream.

Due to my miscalculation re travel to KI we scored an extended stay in Hahndorf on the way home - poor Phil had to drive about 150kms through heavy rain to get there and it continued to rain during our stay. Scored a great hotel room from lastminute so stayed in a bit of luxury and a great king size bed - which was fortunate as came down with one of my tummy bugs so spent the day in bed.--------so between the weather and being out of sorts did not to get see much of H (having been there before not too disappointed about this). The Vanilla Slice here topped the one at Sorrento according to the VS expert!

30 May started the bolt home across the Nullabor - arrived home on 2 June - saw absolutely no live animals on this trip - some great eagles though. Stopped over at Ceduna; Cocklebiddy (the less said about the accom there the better - but an absolute embarrasment for the Australian Tourism industry) - did see an absolutely fantastic sunset though as we had to sit outside due to the smell in the room! Last night was spent at Southern Cross in a very old hotel - clean but basic.

Home Sweet Home after a stopover to cuddle daughter and grandkids..................the worst part of being away for such a long time was missing the family (and the furkids!)

Conclusion:

Out of adversity comes adventure!

A fantastic journey - and a taste of things to come for us. Thank you Phil for all your driving hours - made for a very pleasant trip for me - and I will learn to hold the map the right way someday!

Australia is a beautiful place to live and travel in - though there needs to be some improvement with the facilities on offer to tourists - some an absolute embarrassment!

After 32 different beds in 75 nights - bring your own pillows (and don't forget to take them with you when you leave!)

Highlights - sooo many. Catching up with friends and family; seeing places not previusly experienced; revisiting places enjoyed in the past; discovering new places to visit again; The Blues Train; MCG; Port Fairy etc etc







Advertisement



Tot: 0.051s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0273s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb