THE NEXT 30 DAYS ...................


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Victoria » Dromana
May 18th 2010
Published: May 18th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Hard to believe that one month has passed since I last sat down in Kurunda to add to this blog. We are now in Dromana, Mornington Peninsula - many driving miles and days away. We are on the last two weeks of our journey - given that we have now added a couple of extra days for Kangaroo Island to our trip (thank you to our house/dogsitters who have advised that they are in no hurry to vacate out home!)

Will start back at the beginning - of this segment.

Not impressed with the Kuranda Markets. Still location of the Cabin was great - and we did get to see some of the local wildlife.....

Left Kuranda for Cairns - returned hire car. Did a bit of touristing - but wet and not miserable so mainly did people watching from a coffee shop with great coffee before heading off for a walk in the rain ourselves. Stayed with Phil's niece Genelle and her partner Troy and daughters Ashley and Casey. Troy cooked a mean Thai Green Chicken Curry.

Back onto the Sunlander on Tuesday 20 April - better prepared this time so no need to eat any of their food - saved ourselves a touch of indigestion!

Arrived Bundagerg at 9am on Thursday - picked up by Phil's sister Pam for a couple of days stay at The Castle.........Rodney out on the road so just Pam and Larissa............who had her 15th birthday while we were there - brought Indian Food for the Birthday Dinner. Spent the next couple of days trying to download iitunes for Larissa's new ipod - fruitless exercise without broadband! Hard to believe that there are still areas in Australia without this access - how primitive!!!! Still a nice and relaxing time - reading, domestic duties getting ready for drive south.

Friday 23 April - drive south to Hervey Bay to catch up with Jan and spend a couple of days with her................ Jan drove us down to Maryborough on Saturday - disappointing as the tourist precinct is pretty well defunct and the town pretty well closes down on a Saturday afternoon. Phil had visions of a great pie from a previous stopover enroute to Bundaberg - alas the shop was closed when we got there! The Mary Poppins link is interesting.

Sunday 24 April - drove out to Brisbane via Toowoomba to catch up with Dan and Yvonne - great seafood lunch at Weis - apparently folk from Brisbane drive up to experience the food..................well worth the drive!

The following five days were spent in Brisbane - mainly catching up with Family including newborn great-niece - Nyallah - which involved a drive up to the north coast. Brother celebrated his wedding anniversary while we were staying with him and Yvonne - desperate for a baked dinner with lots and lots of vegetables so I cooked a lamb roast for the ocassion! Did catch up with a very old school friend (Margaret Kelly/Clod) but unfortunately not able to catch up with more from this era this trip. Phil also caught up with Billy Cooper.

Friday 30 April - Off to Ballina - a place of fond memories for us. Motel accom this time and dinner at the Shawies - but unfortunately not the Shaws Bay Hotel of our memories - has become a closed national listed building.

Next day jouney to Port Macquarie........stopover at the Big 4 Caravan Park - cabin right on the foreshore. Lovely spot. Rock wall along the foreshore has been decorated by individuals - definitely not graffiti. Sun set very early - enjoyed sitting over a quiet drink.

2 May head south to Crows Nest - stopping for lunch at Toronto - worth a revisit in the future. Would be nice if we were able to just meander this trip but timeframes do not permit. Two nights at a lovely B & B in Crowies - a very lovely part of Sydney - no shortage of eating places! Phil enjoyed his Kway Teoy and me my Nasi Goreng. Bussed into Sydney next day and did the Archibald - we were both amazed at the winner - definitely not our pick. Caught up with Caroline (Hall) for dinner.

Onwards to Bateman Bay to stay at Phil's Dad's coast home for two nights - and to check out the boat he is building under the house. A detour to visit cousin Shirley and Peter to check out her wombats - resuced, rehabilited and awaiting release - amazing creatures - follow her around and respond like dogs to instructions. BB must be one of the most boring places in the world - clearly retired public servants are on the Town Council!!!!!! Took opportunity to put away summer clothes and repack the winter ones (definitely needed!) - the benefit of driving ones own car on this trip - able to be adquately equipped for all seasons!

6 May - arrive in Canberra for a very long stay - 12 nights staying at Phil's sister Jenni and her partner, Neil's place in Lyneham - bit like staying at a five star hotel! Why 12 nights in Canberra? Timeframe worked around number of people to catch up with - a benefit of having lived there for some 9 years and two postings overseas - still not enough time to catch up with all - hopefully next trip in August. Between eating and drinking in lovely company Phil made it to Book 11 - I have lost count! Elise and Shaun's wedding on 15/5 at Gold Creek - the reason for the drive trip - was a very elegant and well organised affair.

Last night a stopover at Wodonga enroute to Mornington Pensuila. A lovely slow drive through lovely green countryside with elements of NZ Benalla,Yea to Dromana in time to see the sun set over Port Phillip Bay............hopefully tomorrow we can add bubbles to the experience!





Advertisement



20th May 2010

Hi from Fairbanks!
What a great holiday!!...you are managing to fill in your days with lots and lots of fine food, good wine and good friends and family....what a fab way to live your retirement!!! Sarah and I are enjoying our Alaskan experience...it's vast wilderness is truly spectacular as you will experience when you venture there...accommodation has been good along the way.. To add to my memories ...(Phil you will LOL at this)...I ran out of petrol one mile from the township of Tok...can you believe it...I was spitting chips believe me!!!...miscalculated badly!! anyway I pulled over a car with two guys from a nearby construction site...they were very affable and helped a poor damsel in distress...one of the guys even invited Sarah and I to a BBQ steak dinner at his mobile trailer home...As a way of thanks, bought a bottle of red and shared some steak with Aaron from Oregon who was doing it tuff without his wife and kid...nice guy...I behaved myself Trudy...still have condoms in bag!?!?!? Tomorrow off to Denali National Park for 2 nights and then we met up with Donna in Anchorage...you mention your travels are coming to an end as is mine...about 2 weeks left for me! Better go, am using internet at visitor's centre.. p.s. it doesn't get dark till after 11 and even then it's not black dark! heavy curtains help our slumber! Hugs and smiles M...xxxx

Tot: 0.059s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0308s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb