Australian cruise from Perth to Cairns


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Perth
May 16th 2023
Published: May 18th 2023
Edit Blog Post

We flew to Perth on Virgin on Monday, 15th. I had booked this over a year ago and we were certainly looking forward to travelling again. The flight was smooth except as usual, they had run out of the toasted sandwiches we wanted for lunch. After arriving in Perth, we got a taxi into the Parmelia Hilton, arriving about 4pm. After checking in we went to the bar for some food and a drink or two. We had two small but delicious tacos and a glass or two of wine. We then walked up to the main street and found a bottle shop to get a couple of bottles for our room.We then rested for a while to watch the news and then went down to the dining room for dinner.This restaurant is called Samuel's so was appropriate. We ordered some small plates and they were delicious. We retired to our room to watch TV and enjoy the wine we had bought before.

The next morning we went down to breakfast at 8am . We had checked the time we were due to meet in the lobby for our tour to the Swan Valley. We returned to our room at 8-30 expecting to go down at 9-20, but at 9-00 we had a phone call to say that the bus was waiting for us. We raced down and were able to board, though we were the last! The bus trip to the Swan Valley took about thirty minutes and our first stop was at the original home of the surveyor of the area, John Septimus Rowe. Our tour guide, Enzo, introduced Dale, a Noongar woman, who told us some of the history of the area and then led us inside to view some Aboriginal handicrafts, which were on display and on sale.After a quick look around, Fletcher and I walked down to the riverbank where there were beautiful views of the Swan River. We still had plenty of time, so we walked up to the Mandoon Winery tasting room which was just opening. Many of the group followed our lead and I admired the composure of the young girl serving as she coped with a whole busload, all asking to taste her wine. The wine was very good and we bought two bottles of red, a Grenache and a Shiraz.

Back on the bus and off to our second stop at Lancaster Winery.This time the purpose was to have a tasting. accompanied by some cheese platters. it was a warm sunny day, and as we sipped our wine we got talking to some of the other couples who will be our companions on board ship. The wine here was also very drinkable, But we didnt buy any more as we can't take it on board.From there we were driven to Whiteman Park, a large recreational space containing several attractions like a wildlife park, a Motor Museum and a Tramway on which ran a Melbourne tram of byegone days, supposedly heading for Kew! We were led to some tables under a shelter where we were given a lunchbox each, containing some very tasty chicken, salad, a mini muffin and some cheese. A great picnic lunch. More conversation ensued during the eating process. After lunch, we were given some free time so we decided to take a tram ride. It cost a whole $5 each. We rattled along, passing some open country side and went past a mob of kangaroos. We spent a pleasant 20 minutes or so , enjoying the scenery and returned in time to board the bus.

We were then driven to Whistlers Chocolate factory where there was an amazing array of chocolates. From large frecklest o chocolate quokkas, and a huge fairytale castle entirely made from chocolate. We did not buy any, though we enjoyed the small samples they gave us but we did enjoy a coffee in their cafe. Then it was onto the last stop of the day, at Sandalford Winery. Here we were given a talk about the history of the place by a lady called Tania.and were then allowed to pour our own samples for tasting. She did point out the line on the glass, though. There was a good range of wines and all were very drinkable, except the fortified was much too sweet. Again we refrained from buying but had been happy to taste!

We returned to the Palmira where we rested for a while before venturing out for dinner. I had googled to find restaurants near us and found one called the Sentinel Bar and Grill. it was only a 5 minute walk away so we wandered along St Georges St about one block . This looked a smart venue and we had a table on their veranda bu the Maitre D' moved us inside as a large group was due to arrive and he said it might be too noisy. We appreciated his thoughtfulness. We started with a shared dish of chorizo and goat cheese which was delicious. Then for main course, Fletcher had blue swimmer crab and prawn angel hair pasta while I chose the gnocchi with a beef cheek ragu. Both were delicious and quite substantial. The main shock here is the price of the wine in restaurants. It is hard to find a bottle under $70.. However it has been a good start to our trip and we are looking forward o the days ahead.


Additional photos below
Photos: 26, Displayed: 25


Advertisement



Tot: 0.103s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 12; qc: 32; dbt: 0.0462s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb