Back in the Lucky Country....


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Perth » Perth City
July 24th 2006
Published: July 28th 2006
Edit Blog Post

PerthPerthPerth

Feeling lucky
We've now left the bouquet of barbed wire country behind and are now re-established in the same hostel in Perth we left in early 2003. It's a strange feeling because everything is so familiar, but it feels like someone has invaded your home. Australia is as welcoming and friendly ever (except for the b****** who flogged us an out of date phonecard) and the only major drawback is the beer seems to have gone up in price. We went out regardless to our Perth "office" in Northbridge for a few refreshments to debate our release from the open prison of South Africa.

Perth has changed little since we were last here. Western Australia is apparently experiencing an economic boom and this is evident in the general upwardly mobile direction of the shops and of course, the Vietnamese restaurants are multiplying rapidly. Mont will be pleased to know that the multitude of entertainment dollars to be had has even tempted Radio Birdman on the road in the wild west for 3 gigs.

We took the train to Freo to enjoy the concept of a safe public transport system again. We've also had a sporting few days. Despite recalling saying in 2003 that Perth Glory was a once in a lifetime experience not to be repeated, John was tempted by the big A League preseason fixture with Melbourne Victory (led by the uncompromising Kevin Muscat). Melbourne sported a Samsung sponsored strip, but alas all similarities with a certain other team ended there. The game was billed as the return of Stan Lazaridis, who actually didn't play but must have wished to be on a plane back to Birmingham after a dour 1-1 draw - Miranda took the easier option of going to sleep in the middle of the first half, leaving the remaining 1871 souls to suffer.

The AFL clash between the Freo Dockers and Melbourne Demons generated a bit more interest - well at least 36244 turned up to Freo's attempt to climb the ladder and see the successful win over a team that was apparently white hot!!

We are heading up the coast towards Broome and Darwin in the morning.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

The Brass Monkey, NorthbridgeThe Brass Monkey, Northbridge
The Brass Monkey, Northbridge

Celebrating the safe arrival in our preferred "Perth Office"
Subiaco OvalSubiaco Oval
Subiaco Oval

Freo v Melbourne
Subiaco OvalSubiaco Oval
Subiaco Oval

Inside the "Home of Football"
Perth Soccer ClubPerth Soccer Club
Perth Soccer Club

The stadium of the local "Azzurri" was the scene for Perth Glory's pre season friendly - we bet it was interesting in their club house during the World Cup.
Perth GloryPerth Glory
Perth Glory

Action from the gripping 1-1 draw with Melbourne Victory.
PerthPerth
Perth

Downtown at sunset from Kings Park


Tot: 0.066s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 33; dbt: 0.0296s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb