Reflections on The Rainbow Nation


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Gauteng » Pretoria
July 23rd 2006
Published: July 22nd 2006
Edit Blog Post

Images of South AfricaImages of South AfricaImages of South Africa

Welcome Greeting
.....and there is our time in South Africa. The Rainbow Nation has fabulous and varied scenery, but is tainted by a crime wave and a people seemingly divided as they ever were! We enjoyed ourselves for about 75% of the time, but would be unsure about ever coming back until they sort out the personal security issues. When visiting countries, we often ask ourselves could we imagine living here? The answer in this case is simple - NO!! In the words that some readers of this blog will be familiar, "we don't live like these people" - behind bars, razor wire and electric fences rarely venturiung out after dark. We survived for 12 weeks with one close call on the mugging front in JBay and two hostel break-ins while we slept, but that is no consolation to the Swedes we met mugged at knivepoint on a CT train, the English girls robbed at knivepoint in Nature's Valley, the Germans hijacked out of their car at gunpoint in Zululand and the countless other incidents we could recite. We hope FIFA know what they are doing with 2010 and there is some yet unveiled plan to build stadiums, make more accomodation available, implement public transport that you can ride on without risking your life and generally introduce law and order.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Images of South AfricaImages of South Africa
Images of South Africa

Garden Ornaments


Tot: 0.048s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 12; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0218s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb