Over the Plain to Perth


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Perth » Perth City
July 10th 2006
Published: July 10th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Me with PerthMe with PerthMe with Perth

not Perth in Scotland of course
Where was I? ah yes, well as I said Glenelg was a great choice so was sorry to leave on Thursday night, shared a cab with 2 Swedish girls (yes guys they were blonde) and checked in for train, whilst waiting they entertained with their juggling, they apparently make travel money by performing in bars etc, but they did not light the sticks, thought to myself how funny it was to be outside Adelaide Rail Terminal watching 2 beautifull Swedish Girls juggle for me, another good reason to go travelling.

Anyway 2 nights on a train? painfull, you just end up sleeping on the floor wedged under the seats, still sat mostly in the lounge and met interesting people, stopped at remote outpost Cooke with four people and got a sense of a proper desert place and went along the straigtest railway track in the world on the Nullabalor Plain, it's unfathomable just how many miles there are of bush/dessert and you say read a book and look up every half an hour it's like the scenery has been put on pause for you.

On Friday night they stopped the train at gold mine rich Kalgoorie for 4 hours
PerthPerthPerth

world's most remote city
so it meant I could go with my new train buddies and have a few hours with the locals, got chatting with an Australian who fought in the Vietnam War, I'd never met a 'Nam' veteran before and it was more insightfull than watching an Oliver Stone movie. Anyway, this was one train not to miss (400 miles from Perth) so staggered back on and had another awfull night breathing in dust on the floor of the carrige.

Arrived in Perth next morning and checked into the homely Govener Robinsons hostel in 'trendy' Northbridge. At least that's what is says in the guidebooks, it's just another part of town with a lot of restaurants to me.

Sunday was a trip down the swan river, millionaires row, to Freemantle (affectionately known as Freo) and onto a Catamaran 17km out to sea to Rottnest Island, seas were choppy but having been yauhting I have sea legs and stomach. Rottnest is Perth's Playground and best thing about it is the little rat/kangaroo mix Quakkas (again wrong spelling) who hang out at every bar hoovering away.

Arrived back on front of ferry in fading light to catch dapper pictures of Perth in sunset, has a good couple of skyscrapers, does not compare with Sydney or New York but would stand proud (literrally) next to London's docklands.

Ashamed to stay I did not stay up for the World Cup Final, was at 2am and I've got a bit of a sore throat, and it's like this, out here I don't really care about such things. See you in the pub for World Cup 2010!


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Perth from RottnestPerth from Rottnest
Perth from Rottnest

Zoom in if you can
QuakkaQuakka
Quakka

or however spelt, they are cool
QuakkaQuakka
Quakka

Breed a rat with kangaroo and this is what you get, no not really.


Tot: 0.12s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 42; dbt: 0.0768s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb