Leaving home all over again!!


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Perth » Perth City
August 14th 2011
Published: August 24th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Perth!


We’re still alive and we’re back baaaaby!!

Well where to start with summing up the last 4 months?? Perth has been brilliant, even although it’s the most isolated city in the world it’s felt like hame to us! We’ve achieved what we wanted to in Perth which was work and save as much dosh as we could. The jobs we both landed ourselves had a great bunch of folk who were pretty much in the same boat as us so it was easy to make some pals.

Don’t be fooled too much with the saving chat though cause we managed to get ourselves right back into the swing of Friday night drinks after work which was pretty much every week! It’s safe to say we’re now pretty well acquainted with the top drinking spots of Perth!

Before we came to Western Australia (WA), we got a lot of funny looks from East-coasters when we told them we were heading for Perth. That’s probably because ‘WA’ is known for ‘wait a while’ as it’s a bit behind the times compared to the East. Everyone who does make the effort to get over here though always seems to love it. It’s just a big melting pot of Irish, Scots, English, a bit more Irish and even more Irish!! We were starting to wonder if there were any Irish left in Ireland as everywhere you went you heard an Irish accent (which was no bad thing cause we made loads of Irish pals).

In the first few weeks it was el scorchio which was handy as Perth has a couple of stunning beaches on its doorstep. Unfortunately winter was just around the corner which meant rain, rain and more rain, but when it rains here it really pisses down – usually sideways!! So with the home comforts and Scottish like weather it wasn’t long until homesickness kicked in. We’d be lying if we didn’t admit to blasting out some Scottish tunes in our darkest moments much to the horror of our English flatmate!!

One of the places we’d really wanted to visit in WA was the Pinnacles which is a couple of hours drive north of Perth through desolate land as far as the eye can see. The Pinnacles are a natural phenomenon of massive jagged rocks in the desert and no one is sure how they were actually created. On the way up we stopped at Lanceline town which has huge sand dunes – perfect for trying to look cool whilst holding on for dear life sliding down on your sand board. The Pinnacles looked like a landscape from Mars and the view at sunset was definitely worth the drive up.

It feels like we’ve been in Perth for ages that we can’t fit everything into one blog but in our time here we also managed to see Dylan Moran in concert, celebrate Tina’s 25th in style and take full advantage to recharge our batteries for the travelling ahead.

When the time came to leave Perth we were both pretty sad to be leaving and devastated to haul the rucksacks back over the shoulder but we are also excited about the fact we’ve decided to come back out to Oz next year. The only downside to this is that we now have to do some farm work to get a second year visa which means we’re now off to live for the next couple of month’s knee-high in pigs shit!!



Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement



Tot: 0.087s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.059s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb